Advanced search

Im so desperate I nearly gave her phenegan

(48 Posts)
sallyenglebertstrawberry Tue 12-Apr-05 21:42:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sallyenglebertstrawberry Tue 12-Apr-05 21:44:27

nutcracker Tue 12-Apr-05 21:46:50

Hmmmmm well you are stronger than me. Dd2 didn't sleep though the night and when she was 1 was averaging 2 hours a night, and so the doc perscribed phenergan and i gave it. Didn't really work though anyway.

Sleep deprivation is sooooooooooooooooooooooo bad, i coudl have cheerfully given dd away.

She is 5 now and still isn't a great sleeper, but i bribe her with having her lamp on. If she plays up it goes off.

Hope you find something that works soon xxx

nutcracker Tue 12-Apr-05 21:47:24

Contrlled crying didn't work with dd either, she would also be sick.

LGJ Tue 12-Apr-05 21:49:59

Give her the phenergran, she can't be easy to mind in the day either as there is no way she or you are getting enough sleep.

DS did this, though not as bad and Doctor Dishy told us to give him Calpol as it would break the cycle.

Do it for a few nights and stop and see what happens, you need all the sleep you can get at the moment.

Do not beat your self up about it, you need to finish your assignment and ultimately move on to better things, so a little Phenergran won't kill her.

HTH

Amanda3266 Tue 12-Apr-05 21:52:03

Oh poor you. Controlled crying does work for most children but some are very stubborn and you may need a different approach. She's obviously set this up as a habit and everyone suffers.
There are a couple of good books out there for dealing with sleep problems the best of which is called "Solve your child's sleep problems" by Richard Ferber.
Is your HV a nice one - if so it may be worth giving her a ring to see if she can help.

It's worth also keeping a chart noting what time you put her to bed, what wind down routine you have and what happens when she wakes - how is she rewarded for waking etc. Does she get a drink? Does she get a cuddle from you and your attention? Basically it's about withdrawing that reward - either cold turkey (prepare for several disturbed nights) or by using a more gradual process which might mean an easier change but a more gradual one.

If you can't find the Richard Ferber book anywhere I've got a copy I can lend you - feel free to CAT me.

Mandy

sallyenglebertstrawberry Tue 12-Apr-05 22:01:20

sallyenglebertstrawberry Tue 12-Apr-05 22:01:53

sallyenglebertstrawberry Tue 12-Apr-05 22:09:44

sallyenglebertstrawberry Tue 12-Apr-05 22:11:29

WideWebWitch Tue 12-Apr-05 22:11:39

Additives? Sugar? Just a thought. Does wearing her out in the day make any difference? Have you tried a star chart? Poor you, you must be knackered.

sallyenglebertstrawberry Tue 12-Apr-05 22:11:49

sallyenglebertstrawberry Tue 12-Apr-05 22:12:49

sallyenglebertstrawberry Tue 12-Apr-05 22:14:09

jenkel Tue 12-Apr-05 22:16:12

Fet some more pherngan.

A friend of mine sons was terrible at sleeping, very similar to you. The advice that she was given was to break the habit and Phenergan done that, she gave it to him every night for a week and then after that he was a lot better.

WideWebWitch Tue 12-Apr-05 22:16:38

Can you get a night off (i.e someone else deals with her for a night) while you and dh formulate a plan and then tell her the plan and execute it and stick to it. i.e. you WILL go to bed at xtime, and if you do it, then you get a star, etc.

sallyenglebertstrawberry Tue 12-Apr-05 22:16:50

milge Tue 12-Apr-05 22:17:09

Have you tried Piriton? Over the counter anti histamine, even my sleepless dd finally gives in after a 5ml shot of this. Much weaker than Phenergren as its non prescription. You probably have tried it, but its all i can think of!

WideWebWitch Tue 12-Apr-05 22:18:04

you could have a symbol like this

sallyenglebertstrawberry Tue 12-Apr-05 22:18:18

sallyenglebertstrawberry Tue 12-Apr-05 22:19:05

sallyenglebertstrawberry Tue 12-Apr-05 22:20:49

sallyenglebertstrawberry Tue 12-Apr-05 22:29:40

WideWebWitch Tue 12-Apr-05 22:32:54

She NEEDS sleep. It's for her benefit too. If you're sure it works (as it send some hyper) thne try it.

milge Tue 12-Apr-05 22:33:21

My mum had to drug me to sleep as a child, and i think i was given an actual sleeping pill ground down in my milk. The GP prescribed it as he said that everyone needs to sleep, just some of us need a little encouragement. We call DD Nessum Dorma - none shall sleep, as she doesn't sleep much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now