Talk

Advanced search

When did you stop using a monitor

(12 Posts)
callmeovercautious Tue 08-Jul-08 18:23:16

I am a deep sleeper so use the monitor on at full volume so I wake up if DD does. She has been a poor sleeper forever but does mostly go through now, she is 22m.

DP says I should switch it off as we will hear her if she really needs us - but I am not so sure.

Any thoughts?

ChasingSquirrels Tue 08-Jul-08 18:25:27

I never used one. I sleep pretty soundly, but always found that I heard the kids - until they started sleeping through and then I never heard them when they did wake.

TheMuppetMuggle Tue 08-Jul-08 18:29:40

My DD is 3yrs old, i still use mine as i go into such a deep sleep i know i'd never hear her!

micku5 Tue 08-Jul-08 18:44:03

DD2 is going to be 2 next week and we still use her monitor (a sensor one) as she has had a few apneia episodes and now she gets out of the bed herself so the alarm goes off!! cue dh an i rushing up into her bedroom to make sure she is okay.

callmeovercautious Tue 08-Jul-08 18:48:55

CS - I think that is why DP wants it off!

ChasingSquirrels Tue 08-Jul-08 18:51:09

lol, might work the other way though - once they were sleeping through I just didn't hear them when they did wake, but ex did and so he had to get up.
Was wierd when ds2 was born and I was feeding, I just stopped hearing ds1 at all (at night).

FrannyandZooey Tue 08-Jul-08 18:52:20

I haven't stopped yet - ds is 5
he sometimes has a bad dream and tbh I sleep through it now unless the monitor is on - if he has to come in and get us he is usually that much more awake, frightened and hard to settle, so it's a purely selfish / lazy thing for me

Sobernow Tue 08-Jul-08 18:52:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PurlyQueen Tue 08-Jul-08 20:10:27

Never used one. My 'mumdar' picks up sniffles and cries in the next room.

NellyTheElephant Tue 08-Jul-08 22:29:33

Depends how big the house is. Our house is pretty tiny, so with DD2 I stopped using the monitor at about 3 months (she was sleeping through by then), but left both our doors open so I'd always hear her and wake if necessary. When at DH's parents' house though I always take the monitor with me as their house is huge and I wouldn't hear anything even if they were both screaming the place down!

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 08-Jul-08 22:32:10

Message withdrawn

callmeovercautious Wed 09-Jul-08 23:33:53

Starlight - that is DPs theory. He recons she can hear herself so crys more. He may be right so I am turning it down a little tonight. One notch a week I have promised him smile

She was ill recently so I was glad I had it, especially after she cracked her head open and I had to sit up all night. On a normal night though there really is no need, just a bad habit of mine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now