1 year old won't nap/sleep with out walking /rocking

(19 Posts)
PinkDollyHair Wed 20-Jan-21 10:27:28

My one year old has always had trouble sleeping,when hes tiyerd I have to pick him up and walk and rock him until he gives up and falls asleep he will struggle and cry during walking and rocking .hes getting so heavy now this can't continue but I don't have the first clue what to do .I've tried putting him in his bed but he'll stand up and scream until hes sick and I can't stand seeing him in that state. I've tried sitting with him and having quiet time with him but he just wants to play or climb over me .he won't take a dummy and isnt interested in comforters . He doesn't show typical sleepy signs and hes never once just fallen asleep I'm at breaking point my arms and back hurt constantly. I feel like a complete failure .any words of advice please

OP’s posts: |
OnlyFoolsnMothers Wed 20-Jan-21 10:31:59

Honestly OP I would do controlled crying, I would keep going back into his room every 1min/ 2mins/ 5mins and 10mins max, laying him down, rub the back and walk out.
Worked for me when I could no longer spend 1hr rubbing my LOs back.
Oh and I wouldn’t look to add a dummy into the mix, you will be up all night when it drops out their mouth and then have an issue when u want them to no longer take it.

Oh also did u ever try a light monitor- that projects something into the ceiling for them to stare at

PinkDollyHair Wed 20-Jan-21 10:41:55

Thank you for your reply I'll look in to a light for him that's a really good idea. I might have to do controlled crying but honestly I'm dreading it , if I leave him in his bed awake he'll just start screaming and banging the side of his cot and then hes really hard to calm again

FiloFaxx Wed 20-Jan-21 10:50:17

What would happen if while he tries to climb over you etc you just try and sit still or start reading a story or singing a song together. Or even play some bedtime music? When my daughter was 1 I used to play a bedtime song so she knew it was bedtime.

OnlyFoolsnMothers Wed 20-Jan-21 10:54:15

Maybe go in every 5mins if you feel more comfortable- you can comfort him when u go in but lay him down and walk out again. He knows u are there still.

PinkDollyHair Wed 20-Jan-21 10:58:26

He might sit with me to read a book or sing a song . He loves music but I've not tried it to calm him yet so I'll try that

SleepingStandingUp Wed 20-Jan-21 11:00:23

Ours go down with a bottle, sometimes water, mostly milk. It gives them something to do whilst they're not yet asleep. Could they work?

Does he have a cuddly toy in his bed you could cuddle him up with?

Night light and music?

Advertisement

PinkDollyHair Wed 20-Jan-21 11:02:47

That sounds more manageable I think I'll give that a go tonight with some bedtime music thank you lovely ladies star

SleepingStandingUp Wed 20-Jan-21 11:03:39

Also what's his routine op? Rough time up, naps , bedtime?

PinkDollyHair Wed 20-Jan-21 11:05:56

He has a bottle befor bed (the last remaining formula bottle) and sometimes that helps settle him but only if hes on me . He has a teddy in his bed but he tends to bite it and throw it out

PinkDollyHair Wed 20-Jan-21 11:09:24

Hes up at about 5:30-6 ish most mornings he has a nap at around 10 until around 12 and then hes up until 6 .( No amount of rocking or walking will get him to take a second nap )

Hill1991 Wed 20-Jan-21 11:27:50

In the day for naps have you tried rocking him in a pushchair as that's what I did with ds as he got to big for me to be rocking him standing up

PinkDollyHair Wed 20-Jan-21 11:30:54

He loves being in his Pushchair but will not fall asleep in it unless we're out for a long time

SleepingStandingUp Wed 20-Jan-21 11:32:13

My boys are 13 months and now they're taking a long nap of a morning (11ish - 1 ISH, sometimes half that) it's rare we get a second nap but he has an early bedtime so could you push it back so he's more tired? Or would that tip him into overtired?

PinkDollyHair Wed 20-Jan-21 11:39:41

I could try putting him to bad later but like you say I dont want to risk overtired and it being even more difficult.. I suppose I just a case of trying things until somthing works .I feel a whole lot better just getting it off my chest and being able to tell someone

OnlyFoolsnMothers Wed 20-Jan-21 11:56:09

Don’t put him to bed later/ at this age sleeps breeds sleep. It’s not that he’s not tired it’s that he’s in a habit of being rocked to sleep.

PinkDollyHair Wed 20-Jan-21 12:32:21

Well I'd assume hes tiyerd being up 6 hours. But he puts up such a fight when I'm trying to get him to sleep . I know he will eventually just sleep but its starting to feel like it will never happen

FiloFaxx Wed 20-Jan-21 12:59:19

PinkDollyHair

That sounds more manageable I think I'll give that a go tonight with some bedtime music thank you lovely ladies star

Good luck 🤞

SleepingStandingUp Wed 20-Jan-21 14:59:46

I'd be tempted to try a nap at 3 for 45-60 minutes then put to bed at 7.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in