Talk

Advanced search

ok I bought in myself but what to do about 2 yo's hatred of bedtime?

(21 Posts)
anniemac Tue 10-Jul-07 21:20:06

Message withdrawn

hoxtonchick Tue 10-Jul-07 21:26:30

<waves at anniemac>

i really hope someone has some answers.... my dd is just 2, & needs me with her to get to sleep. if she has any kind of nap during the day she won't go to sleep before 9. she invariably wakes up in the night & comes into our bed (i don't mind this bit, dp does though).

anniemac Tue 10-Jul-07 21:27:50

Message withdrawn

anniemac Tue 10-Jul-07 21:28:07

Message withdrawn

fishie Tue 10-Jul-07 21:28:38

don't know anniemac but i am right there with you. ds is 2.3 and dp is still upstairs putting him to bed, he goes to sleep about 9.40 and gets up at 6am.

it is causing lots of rows, i incline towards a more forceful approach, but dp does bedtime (i used to do one night a week but can't face it any more) as it is pretty much the only break i get all day. i start work at 8 so go to bed not very much later than ds.

ds has never been a good sleeper either and i suspect that nothing is going to change till he stops afternoon nap, he just doesn't seem to be tired at all.

hoxtonchick Tue 10-Jul-07 21:28:56

ha ha ha. mine is a cheeky madam. adorable, but super hard work .

stressteddy Tue 10-Jul-07 21:29:05

annie - it's hard isn't it?
Basically, I would say you need to go through a bit more pain before things will get better
Decide on a bedtime and stick to it
Have the same routine every night
Decide if you want to stay with her or leave her (either for short periods or for longer)
Let her know that you will not put up with stalling tactics - if she tries it on then say you will leave her to go to sleep on her own. If she does try to stall, leave her (eek!)
I have a lock on my ds's door (a hook and eye one which "locks" the door open about 4 inches. This means that he can't escape and I know he is safe if I do leave him
Hope this makes sense and that things get better. Do report back won't you?
X

anniemac Tue 10-Jul-07 21:29:22

Message withdrawn

Quiddaitch Tue 10-Jul-07 21:31:41

<hijacks hoxton>

send us yer postal address, will you? i may make it down to the post office soon...

anniemac Tue 10-Jul-07 21:32:09

Message withdrawn

hoxtonchick Tue 10-Jul-07 21:32:25

i work 3 short days a week. she goes to nursery 2 of those & is with grandma for the other day. weirdly, i find i have more patience with her the days i don't work. the days i do work i'm just knackered & want to get the whole thing over with (which makes me feel guilty).

also, i've asked nursery not to let her sleep but they are insisting on it . she is still in the baby room & they all sleep after lunch. when she's with me i don't let her nap so she crashes out a lot earlier (but dirtier as she doesn't make it into the bath....).

her sleeping has improved a lot since i stopped breastfeeding her at 18 months.

ps anniemac, are you going to the city lunch on thursday?

hoxtonchick Tue 10-Jul-07 21:33:42

your name change sooooooo confused me aitch . am e-mailing.

stressteddy Tue 10-Jul-07 21:34:47

If you love her in bed with you then keep on doing it. I think us parents need to do WHATEVER it takes to get us through. Don't beat yourself up about it. Just accept that that will be the way you are going to do it
x

anniemac Tue 10-Jul-07 21:36:40

Message withdrawn

anniemac Tue 10-Jul-07 21:38:24

Message withdrawn

stressteddy Tue 10-Jul-07 21:39:19

separate beds for you and dh? At least one of you gets a good night then?

hoxtonchick Tue 10-Jul-07 21:40:12

yes, planning to go on thursday, plus dd........ i'd really like to meet you too!

anniemac Tue 10-Jul-07 21:45:44

Message withdrawn

stressteddy Tue 10-Jul-07 21:48:36

annie, I refer you back to my first post then. I'm afraid I've run out of ideas
Sorry babe
x

hoxtonchick Tue 10-Jul-07 22:08:14

mine's awake.......

anniemac Tue 10-Jul-07 22:45:57

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now