Talk

Advanced search

Staggered bedtimes for baby and toddler.

(9 Posts)
Nottalotta Sun 12-Nov-17 13:29:52

Ds1 2yrs 4 months and ds2 9 months. Ds2 still starts the night downstairs then in my room. He is ready for sleep earlier than Ds1 (7pm as opposed to 8pm) Only 2 bedrooms.

He's been waking more and more in the evening so I need to start putting him to bed upstairs but can't see how it will work as Ds1 isn't quiet at bedtime.

How do you manage it?

BunloafAndCrumpets Sun 12-Nov-17 13:42:59

Can ds2 go to bed in your room?

This is probably a relatively short phase, hopefully their bedtimes will become more similar with time.

BunloafAndCrumpets Sun 12-Nov-17 13:44:12

Oh do you mean ds1 so loud he’d wake ds2 if ds2 upstairs? I’d try a combination of trying to keep ds1 quiet, and white noise/music for ds2.

BayLeaves Sun 12-Nov-17 13:47:01

Move 2 year old's bedtime to 7ish, get them both in bed at the same time so you can enjoy a longer evening grin

My 2 year old had an 8pm bedtime but now he's 3 I moved it to 7pm so he could go to bed at the same time as his little brother. He also dropped his nap though so needed the earlier bedtime. Does yours still nap? Although even with a nap most 2 year olds are going to bed earlier than 8pm so it's not totally unrealistic.

BayLeaves Sun 12-Nov-17 13:49:28

Also you can start teaching the 2 year old to be a little bit quieter at bedtime, I've been trying to encourage my 3 year old not to stomp around so much, we try to talk in calm voices and keep the whole bedtime routine a bit more tranquil. Obviously easier said than done!

dustinclockwatcher Sun 12-Nov-17 13:51:51

White noise machine in baby's room.

Nottalotta Sun 12-Nov-17 13:56:47

I aim to put ds2 to bed in my room but Ds1 would invarI ably wake him up (I think). I think the first step would be to attempt to stop him venturing into my room during his bedtime routine . He's been a difficult sleeper, great now, but we have quite a lengthy bedtime . It could do with being a little earlier, for him to be in bed by 7.30. His dad often doesn't get home til past 6 so that's the reason it is often too late.

Atm we all go upstairs, ds2 gets washed and changed and Ds1 has a bath. If time allows ds2 has a bath . Then ds2 goes downstairs with H for his bottle while I get Ds1 out of the bath, dried dressed milk stories bed etc.

FATEdestiny Sun 12-Nov-17 14:03:57

I'd do the same as you're doing now, but H give DS2 bottle in your room and then into cot for settling to sleep.

Nottalotta Sun 12-Nov-17 14:07:02

Yes I think that's what will have to happen, I just worry about them waking each other up.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: