Talk

Advanced search

Desperate times...

(4 Posts)
Katywakey Wed 06-Jul-16 14:41:18

I have a 4 month old and since he was about 8 weeks old he's been waking on average 4-5 times a night. I'm EBF (he won't take a bottle!) and I'm guessing it's become a habit as I generally have to feed him to get him back to sleep. As he is feeding so much at night I don't think he's taking as much as he could be during the day. Often feeds are short and he never empties a breast. I'm all for going with the flow, but this is becoming unsustainable as I also have a 2.5 year old to care for and I'm just so exhausted. I'm also struggling to get him into any kind of routine during the day, and I wonder if this is also having a knock on effect. This is an idea f how our day goes:
6-7am wakes but never wants to feed much at all
1-1.5hrs after waking needs a nap (30mins-1hr)
8:30/9am feeds (seems to want more at this time)
1-1.5hrs after waking needs a nap (30mins-1hr)
11am feeds (never very much)
LTN (I've been trying to ensure this is longest)
13:30ish feed (never very much)
He'll then have two short cat naps through afternoon to get him to a 18:45/19:00 bedtime. He does s good feed before bed. Sometimes he'll go until 22:30, other times it could be 20:30 or 21:30, then it's every 1.5-2hrs all night.
Any advice very welcome!!!!!

ImSoVeryTired Wed 06-Jul-16 16:03:29

Watching with interest as I'm in a similar situation. Does anything in particular wake him? Seems to be wind with my little boy. He mainly seems to use me as a dummy at night.

Katywakey Wed 06-Jul-16 18:37:11

I think he uses me as a dummy too and just can't resettle without a feed. He'll take a dummy during the day, but not at night. Last night he managed two 4hr chunks of sleep, which is very rare(!) and so I know he can do it. I've just ordered a swaddle sleeping bag as I wonder if the moro reflex is waking him still...willing to try anything at the moment!

Ifnotherethenwhere Mon 11-Jul-16 22:39:03

This sounds like classic 4 month sleep pattern/behaviour (often called four month sleep regression). My DC1 was much the same at this age. I got through it by co-sleeping with my top up, so I could latch her on half-awake and then fall asleep while she was feeding.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now