Talk

Advanced search

self settling without controlled crying - co-sleepers , any advice?

(7 Posts)
DuelingFanjo Wed 22-Jun-11 20:52:04

my DS is six months and we co-sleep. I rock him to sleep and this works for us. However he will be going into a creche in a couple of months and I am worried that he doesn't self settle. Do I need to sort this out? Will the nursery leave him to cry (I am thinking not if there are other babies asleep) or will they wait until he falls asleep on the floor!

If I wanted to teach him to self settle without leaving him to cry what is the best way, or is there even any point if I am happy to carry on rocking him?

Lady1nTheRadiator Wed 22-Jun-11 20:55:10

Have you spoken to the nursery about this? I rocked my co-sleeping DS to sleep until he was 18 months shock - at nursery he either slept on a member of staff, or they'd lay him on a little mat and pat his back until he fell asleep. They never left him to cry (well, so they said of course, but I believed them!)

If you make it clear what you are/are not happy with then I am sure a good nursery will go with that as much as they can. I also think babies can be surprisingly tolerant of different ways of things happening in different settings (but don't get me started on FOOD!)

welliesandpyjamas Sun 26-Jun-11 12:25:44

IME, six months is too early to try and make them self settle as I think they just don't get it yet. However what they can start to do is associate a place or even a blanket or otherprompt with going to sleep so you could over time reduce the rocking. How long are rocking him for?

welliesandpyjamas Sun 26-Jun-11 12:27:20

To clarify, "six months is too early to try and make them self settle" without upsetting them unecessarily.

antfroggirl Sun 26-Jun-11 14:06:26

Agree totally with lady - I was really worried about this with our ds but nursery patted him gently to sleep without letting him cry (and he was a nightmare sleeper at home despite cc!) AND they tell me he trots off happily to the sleep area by himself for a 2 hour nap after lunch. If they hadn't got photographic evidence I would have thought they were confusing him with another child!!! I only wish I had the parenting skills of a nursery employee wink

threefeethighandrising Sun 26-Jun-11 15:17:51

I have no idea what magic the nursery / CM do but I still feed DS to sleep (he's 2.5) and wouldn't know where to start with getting him to self-settle, but his nursery and his CM (we have both, long story grin) get him to sleep no problems!

If your DS likes rocking to sleep tell them, and I expect this is what they'll do.

DuelingFanjo Mon 27-Jun-11 23:45:52

I'm back.

I can get him to sleep in less than five minutes by rocking and singing though sometimes it's longer.

Thank you for the replies, I feel better about it now smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now