Talk

Advanced search

Recommendations please- one kid and one adult want to ski (first time for Ds), one kid reluctant and one adult a no! Where do we go!

(10 Posts)
Collarsandcutoffs Wed 31-Aug-16 20:52:53

So DH and I used to go skiing every year but I was frankly always pretty shit and now I'm old and have the fear I really don't want to bother. However I love to run and hike and I might enjoy cross country skiing? but even if not would absolutely want to be active all trip

dS1 is 13 and desperate to try for first time, ds2 is 9 and hates most sport and being cold and I suspect will be coerced into the odd lesson but won't want to go daily.

So we need a self cater or a hotel (prefer these to a chalet) and great ski school for beginners plus loads of other things to do and cross country ski/running. DH hasn't skied for 15 years so won't need tricky runs at all

Don't want a long transfer. Happy to fly there. Don't mind which country.

Any suggestions from you experienced family skiers?

SienaSun Thu 01-Sep-16 20:26:02

Put St Vincent, it's French but 2.5 hours to Turin airport. There's loads of cross country trails and a saw a lot of hikers there. It's a small town centre but has a pool and cinema. If you book through Snowbizz (who have SC aparts) you can access their ski school which is excellent, or if not there is ESF which is also excellent (IMO). It's not a large area so easy for everyone to do different things and still meet for lunch.
Other places that might be good for are Morzine - large town 1 hour from Geneva, or Innsbruck - you can stay in the city as it's well linked to the surrounding ski resorts.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Thu 01-Sep-16 21:15:08

What about trying Finland, great cross country skiing. Easy runs, great English speaking tuition. We loved Ruka. Not as expensive as we expected at all. Lots of other activities to try.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Thu 01-Sep-16 21:16:35

I also think Morzine is good, but not sure about trails.

Skilover Mon 05-Sep-16 16:03:10

Chamonix is a great place to go for amazing scenery and there are loads of things to do if you don't want to ski. You can go up the Aiguille du Midi and or the Montenvers railway. There is a beginners area in the resort of you could try one of the smaller villages like Vallorcine which is very small and traditional but you get free train travel to Chamonix with your accommodation booking and there is great X country skiing in that area. Or you could try somewhere like La Rosiere and a residence that has a pool with bowling and an ice rink very close to hand...

snicholson76 Tue 06-Sep-16 09:16:04

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Tue 06-Sep-16 16:39:14

We travelled with Crystal on a ski trip and booked all the extras with the local tourist office in Ruka. It was great value b

Puzzledmum Fri 16-Sep-16 05:39:17

I'd recommend Andorra, Morzine or Austria

BikeRunSki Fri 16-Sep-16 05:59:15

Chamonix bit great for families or beginners. The ski stations are very spread put, sk there's lots of bussing around in ski boots. A lot of the low/beginner's slopes are low down and may not get snow on band snow years. There is a whole thread running about Cham. I'd consider Morzine instead.

BikeRunSki Fri 16-Sep-16 06:00:47

Chanonix Thread

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now