Talk

Advanced search

Is there no Secret Santa this year?

(68 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

PolterGoose Sat 15-Oct-16 11:31:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fluffybumbuffy Sat 15-Oct-16 11:33:08

I hope not. The whole thing is half popularity contest and half sob stories from scammy mcscammerpants.

fluffybumbuffy Sat 15-Oct-16 11:34:08

Mumsnet is just too big for it now I think.

If the regulars who all know and nominate each other want to do one can they not do it via Facebook?

Sparklingbrook Sat 15-Oct-16 11:48:34

How will we be able to differentiate between all the user12345678 numbers to nominate someone? grin

Plus with all the namechanging i have no idea who anyone is any more.

I do wonder after Jeffgate whether it's wise anyway.

PolterGoose Sat 15-Oct-16 12:14:38

mortil2 Sat 15-Oct-16 12:17:12

I was just wondering about the secret Santa this morning. I must have missed Jeffgate.. what was that all about?

Sparklingbrook Sat 15-Oct-16 12:45:12

Mumsnet was hacked mortil. Passwords were found and posted on Twitter etc.There was a list of Mumsnetters whose passwords were mentioned. Everyone had to change their password. Big security hoo-haa.

This was August 2015 and the Santa thing ran as normal but I would think fewer people were willing to give out their home addresses for strangers to send stuff to.

Things do come to a natural end though. perhaps a vote to see if there's an appetite for it any more?

PigletWasPoohsFriend Sat 15-Oct-16 12:48:43

How will we be able to differentiate between all the user12345678 numbers to nominate someone?

grin

I do think it turns into a popularity contest tbh.

cozietoesie Sat 15-Oct-16 13:07:41

It's really too late now to organise so I guess that it won't be held this year.

If people are feeling the need to have a Giving Event, though, I seem to recall a recent thread from Wooly Hugs in that regard? Perhaps someone could link to it. smile

IfartInYourGeneralDirection Sat 15-Oct-16 13:10:13

Yeah I stopped donating because the stuff no longer went to those in need just to those with lots of mates.
Shame really, it was amazing at the start

Sparklingbrook Sat 15-Oct-16 14:33:36

How do you know who the stuff went to? It was all done anonymously IIRC. No names were announced as to who was nominated, everyone had a unique number.

As far as I know anyone who got just one nomination was matched with someone to send them a gift.

So not sure about the 'lots of mates' thing. confused

Badders123 Sat 15-Oct-16 14:43:06

I've been lucky enough to be nominated for the last 2 secret santas
As grateful and touched as I was, I would prefer a giving week or giving event tbh
Mn local could get involved and include local food banks and refuges?

FruVikingessOla Sat 15-Oct-16 17:04:28

I was thinking about this the other day too. I think it was usually in October that MNHQ started their SS thread.

But, I agree with PPs. MN has become too big, there are too many MNers with user123456789 type names and JeffreyGate has made people too wary of getting involved.

Ragwort Sat 15-Oct-16 17:10:50

I agree that a big appeal for a worthwhile charity to support would be much better than individual presents being posted around the country.

Saucery Sat 15-Oct-16 17:13:14

It did become a big popularity contest, so would be a lot better to have a Giving Event. To Refuge, maybe?

FruVikingessOla Sat 15-Oct-16 20:37:01

Rather than just the one charity though, perhaps maybe five charities? So donations are spread around?

Tippexy Sat 15-Oct-16 21:03:05

It has been a huge popularity contest for the last couple of years TBH. As PPs say; those with 'mates' and those who never name change were the ones who got things.

Perhaps donate some time or money to an actual charity instead. smile

Sparklingbrook Sat 15-Oct-16 21:56:34

I still don't get how anyone found out who got things when it's all supposedly anonymous. confused

Saucery Sat 15-Oct-16 22:00:35

An awful lot of Boasting on FB. Plus the identifiable details given as to why the recipients were nominated.

When my shed collapsed earlier this year and the man shouted at me for breastfeeding on a rollercoaster, coming as it did on top of my Primark sharting incident.......

IfartInYourGeneralDirection Sat 15-Oct-16 22:01:31

Ths thank you threads weren't anonymous

PolterGoose Sat 15-Oct-16 22:01:55

PolterGoose Sat 15-Oct-16 22:04:59

Jetcatisback Sat 15-Oct-16 22:10:51

I was wondering about it too, though I understand if it doesn't run.

A few years back, when I was at my lowest, I received SS gifts - a little box of homemade chocolate brownies made me cry! That year I also received an enormous Xmas food hamper from the Co-op via MN, it truly made such a difference, and the kindness I felt in being nominated touched me deeply. Since then, while I haven't been able to afford much, I would always donate something.

But as I say, I think the spirit has got lost a little, and agree that it is those who don't name change who would be nominated now sad

Sparklingbrook Sat 15-Oct-16 22:12:13

I am not on FB.

The only thank you threads I saw everyone was using their unique number and people looked out for it to see if there had been a thank you.

I never knew who i was sending to. And my nominations were sent to MNHQ nobody else saw them or my reasons.

mortil2 Sat 15-Oct-16 23:27:47

sparkling thank you for clearing up the Jeffgate question.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now