Talk

Advanced search

why do people place mark?

(40 Posts)
LookMaAStone Tue 24-May-16 18:21:07

There is a bookmark function, why do people 'place mark'?

Dfg15 Tue 24-May-16 18:24:39

I wish I knew - it's so annoying when a thread fills up with people saying 'marking my place' or just a dot. Use the flipping bookmark function !

DonkeyOaty Tue 24-May-16 18:24:46

BikeRunSki Tue 24-May-16 18:24:47

Because they don't know about the bookmark? I don't, and I've been here 8 years!

PaulDacresMicroPenis Tue 24-May-16 18:25:55

SenecaFalls Tue 24-May-16 18:26:46

I never place mark. I use "watch this thread."

Pipbin Tue 24-May-16 18:26:49

Because in my experience the 'Watching' never bloody works.

PaulDacresMicroPenis Tue 24-May-16 18:26:51

grin

ChessieFL Tue 24-May-16 18:27:58

Once they've commented it shows up on Threads I'm On so they can find it again easily. Either they don't know about the Watch function or don't trust it to work!

SinisterBumFacedCat Tue 24-May-16 18:27:58

Shamelessly marks place grin

MazzleDazzle Tue 24-May-16 18:28:08

I didn't know there was a bookmark!

Never place mark though haven't got a clue how the dot helps you mark your place.

How do you use the bookmark?

PaulDacresMicroPenis Tue 24-May-16 18:28:10

If you're 'Watching' you don't get to read the deletion message and have your suspicions confirmed.

BathshebaDarkstone Tue 24-May-16 18:29:31

Is the bookmark function on the mobile site? Where is it? confused

LookMaAStone Tue 24-May-16 18:29:55

Seneca you can watch the thread but then bookmark the last post you get to, and then it'll take you straight there to carry on reading any new posts next time. So useful for massively long threads!

Spread the word everyone, we could halve the lengths of popular and fast moving threads if people start using it!

DonkeyOaty Tue 24-May-16 18:30:26

click here for a cogent explanation plz

LookMaAStone Tue 24-May-16 18:30:46

grin sinister

MrsLettuce Tue 24-May-16 18:30:57

IMHO place marking is pretty damned rude, I don't do it. I do understand why it's become so common though. Despite being able to bookmark we don't have any way of accessing a list of threads we've bookmarked. Is necisaaty to Watch it as well as bookmarking or just wait for it to crop up in active again. It's a PITA.

So, I bookmark and 'watch' threads I just want to lurk on, which works well until I forget to click 'watch' and lose track of the thread.

Just posting something to placemark is a much simpler solution, thead is straight in TIO and no double action is required.

LookMaAStone Tue 24-May-16 18:35:11

I agree, it's annoying having the 'watch' the thread before bookmarking. One bookmark option would be better. Not sure why they think we would want to bookmark something but then not have anyway to find the thread again!

I can't see a way to do it on the mobile site......a new feature please?

SilverGiraffe7 Tue 24-May-16 18:35:26

You. Total. Legends. I never knew about the bookmark!! flowerscakebrewwine

MrsLettuce Tue 24-May-16 18:41:56

Bookmarking on the mobile site is accessed via the ... at the bottom right of each message. Various other functions in there too.

AcrossThePondRomance Tue 24-May-16 18:44:13

If you're on a thread, you get a message on your list if it's zapped. It's also a way to know where you've read up to on a long thread.

MrsLettuce Tue 24-May-16 18:46:49

No, TIO doesn't keep up with where you've read to, not at all. It just counts from where you've last posted. Need to post and bookmark to do that

CrazyDuchess Tue 24-May-16 18:57:49

YY to what other have said - if you place mark you see the deletion message. If you just watch the thread it just disappears from your list and you have no idea why

DrHarleenFrancesQuinzel Tue 24-May-16 19:57:12

I never placemark, mainly because Im not that interested and if I see the thread pop up again on active I scroll again.

However if I did want to go back to a specific place in a thread Id have to mark my place (I try not to do it obviously) as its just easier. TIO then look for my colour. I go to TIO first then active. Id probably forget to go to threads watching. (thats if I can figure out how to bookmark in the first place - Ive tried and failed before)

usual Tue 24-May-16 20:00:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now