Talk

Advanced search

I have an email that I only-ONLY- use for mn. Why am I getting spam?

(22 Posts)
Arfarfanarf Wed 02-Dec-15 12:15:17

I created it only a couple of months ago. It is unique to mumsnet, I do enter competitions but I never ever check the box that asks if I want my details passed on. It is my understanding that if we do not check the box, we don't get our email addresses shared. Is that right? It's what it says at the bottom of the competition pages.

So why do I have emails coming into it from Village England and Music room?

Is this an error? lucky guess from village england and music room?

cozietoesie Wed 02-Dec-15 12:58:11

Hundreds of thousands of emails are sent out every hour - they just churn them out. (It costs nothing after all to send them.) Some 'hit' and the sender knows they're a real address. Some are eg replied to and the senders then know that not only is the address real but it's also live.

Spammers work the system - I don't know how reputable those you mentioned are but count yourself lucky that you're not on spam lists and receiving hourly updates from Sexy Suzy from Sebastopol.

Just don't ever reply but mark them as spam to your email provider. They should put a block in place soon enough. (Well mine does. smile)

cozietoesie Wed 02-Dec-15 12:59:33

PS - that's assuming they really were the senders.

BertieBotts Wed 02-Dec-15 13:02:15

Is it hotmail? I get tons of spam to my hotmail, very very rarely if ever to my gmail.

cozietoesie Wed 02-Dec-15 13:14:00

Different providers have different spam filter arrangements. I'm with yahoo and while they have many, many faults, I'd stay with them just for their spam filtering which is superb.

Arfarfanarf Wed 02-Dec-15 13:30:37

Its yahoo.
One of them actually said on it you are receiving this email because you have entered one of our competitions / subscribed etc etc

cozietoesie Wed 02-Dec-15 14:34:10

I'd just report it then.

cozietoesie Wed 02-Dec-15 14:37:00

PS - the 'checking the box' thingy varies between firms IME. Some are robust in their use of it and some are........not so robust in their observance.

ouryve Wed 02-Dec-15 14:37:32

Some email addresses are easier to guess than others, particularly if they're real names. DH has a real name account that sometimes gets inundated in a way that a nickname account (both yahoo) never did.

WowOoo Wed 02-Dec-15 14:42:46

I think they just put that 'you have subscribed' crap on to try to fool you.

I've had the same. I keep blocking them all.

DawnMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 02-Dec-15 20:12:22

Hi Arfarfanarf,

We're really sorry to hear you're receiving spam emails. We're going to check with our Tech team to see what's going on here, but in the meantime here's some advice from the Yahoo website on how to stop spam in Yahoo mail.

Arfarfanarf Wed 02-Dec-15 20:27:21

it's fine if it's spam dropping on lucky. grin I think everyone's used to that. It's just that this email was created specifically for mn only a couple of months ago and given out to nobody else. I just wanted to make sure my email wasn't being passed on.

Have you run comps recently for village england and music room, just out of interest?

DawnMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 02-Dec-15 20:58:07

Hmm. We did have a link to a competition at the time of our Blogfest last month for Village England - you can take a look at it here. Will have a check re. Music Room but can't see anything popping up.

Again, sorry that you're being bothered in this way. Our Tech team will hopefully be around to comment on this in the morning.

cozietoesie Wed 02-Dec-15 23:36:24

Ah Sorry - I misunderstood. You mean you only enter competitions that are actually on mumsnet ?

Arfarfanarf Thu 03-Dec-15 08:20:09

With this address yes. I do nothing other than mn and mn comps with this email.

DawnMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 03-Dec-15 10:43:28

Hi again Arfarfanarf,

Can we just double-check whether you did actually enter that particular competition?

Arfarfanarf Thu 03-Dec-15 12:23:02

I cannot remember.
I enter practically all of them. grin

DawnMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 03-Dec-15 12:33:01

You should be due a win soon, then! grin

Right, we're still looking into this, will update you as soon as we can.

DawnMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 03-Dec-15 12:54:43

Okay, we've just heard back from our Events team. smile

They've said that you would have received an email from Village England if you a) entered the competition to win the handbag or b) attended Blogfest and opted in to receive more information post the event from our sponsors.

They've said that's the only reason the brand would have your email address via us, as we're pretty scrupulous about these things.

Could either of those options be possible?

Also, it's worth noting that some competitions may ask you to tick the box to opt in to receiving emails, others may require that you to tick the box to opt out. Am not sure what the case was on this particular competition, but it's always worth reading the small print carefully, just in case.

Arfarfanarf Thu 03-Dec-15 13:21:22

I probably entered the comp. I didn't attend blogfest.

I did not know that the box option varied.

Tut tut grin

When I've read it, it's been the tick box to receive further information, if you don't tick the box your details won't be shared, here's our privacy policy etc etc.

I will be sure to check carefully to make sure it's not sometimes a tick to opt out!

A good win would be nice, that's for sure. I keep my fingers crossed.

I won a lovely baby book once and gave it to my great-nephew.

The last thing I won before that was a barbie's cheaper less well made cousin in a sale of work at the catholic church when I was 9.

I am not a lucky person grin

DawnMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 03-Dec-15 14:55:27

We weren't tutting, honestly! grin

And we're going to be keeping our fingers firmly crossed that you win something soon. It MUST be your turn...

Here, have some flowers in the meantime.

SavoyCabbage Thu 03-Dec-15 15:01:03

I once ordered a jumper to my mums house and I ticked that box and I got about 40 other companies send me junk mail. It was definitely Celtic and Co who sold it on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now