Talk

Advanced search

About the flowers emoticon

(12 Posts)
heggertyhaggerty Wed 05-Oct-11 17:45:33

I just wondered, would it be pertinent to change the thing you type between the brackets so it just said 'flowers'?

I keep wanting to use them for other purposes than 'thanks', eg for someone who has been bereaved and so on...typing 'thanks' seems a bit odd.

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 05-Oct-11 19:49:47

Hello Heggerty - I posted [flowers] too the first time I did it smile!
Will see what the other HQ bods say.
Thanks for raising.

crazynanna Wed 05-Oct-11 19:54:00

She did,Heggerty,I saw it and sniggered grin

CheeseandGherkins Wed 05-Oct-11 19:55:52

Wasn't the point of that one a thank you though rather than flowers for any other reason?

heggertyhaggerty Wed 05-Oct-11 20:07:14

thanks Olivia smile I mean thanks

Cheese, I dunno, I missed that bit, but I don't see why having it say 'flowers' would prevent it being used as a thankyou.

Maryz Thu 06-Oct-11 13:06:25

It depends, because the thanks was first requested as a thank-you for the quilters, wasn't it (or at least they asked for a star, which was a sign of going above and beyond the norm in helpfulness and caring)?

In which case it is actually being misused by everyone at the moment - it is being used as in giving someone [flowers] just as you might hand them wine or brew, i.e. as a sort of "you need cheering up so I'm sending you something nice".

If it's going to be used as a present rather than a reward (if that makes sense to anyone), it might as well be [ flowers ] as it is easier to remember.

Foubijou Thu 06-Oct-11 16:09:25

I'm sorry, Mary, I didn't realise it was to do with the quilting.

it was a suggestion and if it's inappropriate then please ignore it.

However if it seems a good idea I'd be glad to be allowed to use the flowers for varying purposes - I don't quite understand, were we not intended to use them unless we were involved with the quilting thread?

RebeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 06-Oct-11 16:24:53

Hi All,

thanks for the suggestion.

The main purpose of this emoticon was to have it as a thank you, all explained here

Foubijou Thu 06-Oct-11 16:56:35

thanks Rebecca...but does it bother people if we use it for other things too?

DeeScent Thu 06-Oct-11 18:33:19

I wanted to "give" a poster some thanks on a thread as a sort of get-well-soon, but didn't because it would mean typing "thanks" which didn't seem right (so I left it).

I think it would be good to be able to use thanks as simply flowers for different purposes.

Maryz Thu 06-Oct-11 19:02:29

I wasn't criticising, Foubijou, I was explaining smile. I have no idea whether or not there is a right or wrong way to use them. I suspect like the bear and the biscuit that in the end they will find their own special mumsnet meaning.

Svrider Fri 07-Oct-11 14:50:13

Thing is I don't knowwhatbiscuit or bear mean either! I tend to stick to hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now