Which Grammar schools are more sporty

(15 Posts)
YSH3 Sat 15-Feb-20 02:18:45

I Want to know if there are any grammar schools that are sporty and not just academically strong. My son is smart but can not live without sports. We live around Bexley, Kent, Bromley and Orpington. It would be great if anyone can help. Thanks

OP’s posts: |
mylesta Sat 15-Feb-20 10:50:57

I've no personal knowledge but have seen Dartford recommended as good for rugby.

Enko Sat 15-Feb-20 12:48:26

Jud Tonbridge and Skinners Tunbridge wells are sporty however both are super selective

warnc007 Sat 15-Feb-20 12:55:05

Gravesend Grammar is quite sporty, with a range of different options

Grandmi Mon 17-Feb-20 21:36:03

My sons went to Skinners School it is a fantastic school with a very strong emphasis toward sport, especially rugby!!

Lobsterquadrille2 Mon 17-Feb-20 21:57:54

Agree with Judd and Skinners.

Lightsabre Tue 18-Feb-20 17:22:20

Judd and Skinners are sporty. St Olaves quite sporty too (has nice fields) and does Eton Fives but no football. Dartford good for rugby. All will do at least one PE session and a double games lesson a week with sports after school clubs and weekend fixtures.

NomNomNomNom Tue 18-Feb-20 20:08:05

I was also going to mention Judd which is strong on sports - especially rugby.

YSH3 Tue 18-Feb-20 22:23:40

Thank you all for your help. I have not heard of Judd or Skinners but looks like the majority of people agree that both schools are the most sporty. I’ll check them out. Hopefully they’ll be close by us.

OP’s posts: |
Enko Wed 19-Feb-20 18:08:47

Ds (Rugby mad) says Beth's grammar school in Bexley has an insanely good rugby side so worth looking at too.

MarchingFrogs Wed 19-Feb-20 18:23:12

Judd is in Tonbridge and Skinners' is in Tunbridge Wells and both allocate the majority of their places to those living in catchment. The admissions policies for all schools in Kent are on the KCC website.

Henlie Wed 19-Feb-20 18:27:01

Judd - but if you’re not in their catchment you’ll need to score very high in the Kent test.... In sure someone will be along soon to say what last year’s out of catchment minimum score was 😊.

PettsWoodParadise Thu 20-Feb-20 12:10:18

Bear in mind whatever school - many who pursue sport at deeper levels will pursue it outside school too. If you are looking at this look for a grammar that is flexible and supportive. Not all are and they get focused on their absence figures and academics. DD’s grammar is no use to your DS until sixth form but it does excel at supporting individuals who have wider interests.

A friend’s sporty DS enjoys the team and sport offerings at Chislehurst and Sidcup. Their early start and finish time does make afternoon fixtures tricky sometimes though.

Enko Thu 20-Feb-20 14:54:05

Judd cut off score 2019 376 for the Inner Area and 402 for the Outer Area.
Skinners 360 for inner area unsure what their outer was.

Aria20 Thu 20-Feb-20 15:06:13

Dartford, Gravesend, Chis&Sid all very into rugby and cricket go on tours abroad. Wilmington does football and rugby.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in