Talk

Advanced search

Can anybody recommend a girls navy waterproof coat that would fit over a blazer?

(23 Posts)
2StripedSocks Wed 27-Jul-16 08:29:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mitfordhons Wed 27-Jul-16 08:31:49

No.

I remember looking into this but it's pointless if it's for a secondary school child as they'll never wear it regardless of rain, snow etc it's not the done thing.

BeachysSandyFlipFlops Wed 27-Jul-16 08:32:33

I've got tonnes, never worn!

RockyRoadster Wed 27-Jul-16 08:34:41

Don't waste your money!

TotalConfucius Wed 27-Jul-16 08:45:40

The best solution I've come up with is to buy one of those 3 in 1 waterproof longline jackets from Mountain Warehouse for about £30. Once the fleece is removed the jacket part is quite roomy, She wears only the waterproof part over her blazer on the very very worst of days. The rest of the time she shivers and drips at the bus stop like all the other secondary school pupils. Why are they so strange about wearing decent waterproof coats!?!
Spend your money on thermal underwear and thick tights!

Essexmum69 Wed 27-Jul-16 08:47:34

Haven't looked this year but go outdoors usually do a two part coat in navy. I buy a size that is comfortable to wear at weekends with the fleece inner in place, it will then generally fit over the blazer if required with the fleece removed. (Never had it cold enough to need the fleece in over the blazer and jumper)
DD has worn hers throughout secondary school on wet days over her blazer, so it is not "not the done thing" in all schools, spending the morning in a soaking wet blazer is not a pleasant experience.

handmademitlove Wed 27-Jul-16 08:49:59

My DD has a pakka jacket from mountain warehouse to keep in her bag. It is waterproof so gets used when it's really wet..

Essexmum69 Wed 27-Jul-16 08:53:43

www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-trent-ii-kids-3-in-1-jacket-p301192

lljkk Wed 27-Jul-16 09:35:42

Poundland sells umbrellas.

Needmoresleep Wed 27-Jul-16 09:50:31

Honestly don't. It will never be worn. The best you might do is one of those very lightweight pac-a-macs that could be hidden in the bottom of a school bag on a rainy day in the hope that once others are out of sight it might be worn.

Arkwright Wed 27-Jul-16 12:23:15

I agree with the above advice it won't be worn.

LetsEscape Wed 27-Jul-16 14:31:22

A lightweight umbrella is the solution.
Coats will be conveniently 'lost'.

amidawish Wed 27-Jul-16 16:31:17

i got one from millets last year. was mountain warehouse brand i think.
she lost it.
i honestly wouldn't bother.

amidawish Wed 27-Jul-16 16:31:48

ha ha cross post letsescape

yy to umbrella & warm tights.

troutsprout Wed 27-Jul-16 18:10:43

Waterproof pac-a-mac

SaturdaySurprise Wed 27-Jul-16 20:10:28

My son has a pac-a-mac in his bag, which he wears over the blazer if it's raining or very cold. He wouldn't wear a coat over his blazer. He wears the school jumper underneath the blazer for warmth.

MidLifeCrisis007 Thu 28-Jul-16 07:21:03

These are good coats for the money. Generously sized and fit over blazers.
www.amazon.co.uk/Target-Dry-Vancouver-Unisex-Waterproof/dp/B00JEFP4AS/ref=sr_1_3?s=clothing&ie=UTF8&qid=1469686720&sr=1-3&keywords=target+dry+navy

teddygirlonce Sun 07-Aug-16 17:07:40

DC1 (well into secondary school) will shiver sometimes without a coat on but generally does wear it in winter months. ALTHOUGH he has lost it on more than one occasion (and has had to be retrieve it from a pile of expensive coats in Lost Property at school).

With girls I'm sure it's style over substance all the way so probably wouldn't bother.

lastminute1 Mon 08-Aug-16 14:40:19

Do bother, OP. Not every teenager fits the same box. DS has never lost his coat and he won't leave the house without it because he hates being cold and wet. In his first year, he held the record of attendance: 100%. he was the only one in his class that hadn't caught a bad cold all year wink. I get him a standard navy waterproof coat at John Lewis with removable fleece inside so it covers different seasons. If fits over blazer because when we buy it we make sure it's roomy enough for it. IMO the mountain warehouse advice is also good.

TeenAndTween Mon 08-Aug-16 14:45:32

DD1 had a pac-a-mac. Just try it on over the blazer.

She generally did wear it when wet, plus used a compact umbrella.

It was also small enough to just stuff in her bag (many teens don't use coats as they have to lug them between classes) or take to school just in case if bad weather forecast for later.

If you go with this option
- you have done your bit of providing a coat
- if it doesn't get used you haven't wasted too much money

Ailicece Mon 08-Aug-16 17:58:12

This one is lovely but expensive. They do pretty good sales at odd times so worth keeping an eye out: www.vikingkids.co.uk/didriksons/SS16/SS16-Tia-rain-coat.htm

Ailicece Mon 08-Aug-16 18:02:47

Oops, just saw you were looking for navy - ours are allowed black too! Sorry.

BirdintheWings Wed 10-Aug-16 16:27:34

DD has the weird compromise of a waterproof-ish gilet: dry body, soggy arms. Apparently it is sufficiently not-naff to be worth carting damply round school whereas an actual coat would be an outrage (does any secondary school have anywhere to keep coats? We're on our third school and nowhere has storage for them).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now