Does your secondary have a policy on physical contact

(6 Posts)
TeenAndTween Thu 05-May-16 21:21:33

Does your secondary school have a policy (and is it formal or informal) outlining what level of physical/intimate contact is acceptable between pupils whilst on the premises? Mainly thinking boyfriend-girlfriend (or b-b, g-g).

For example
- holding hands?
- hugging OK?
- peck on the cheek?
- French kissing?
- sitting on laps?
- sitting astride on laps?
- fondling under jumpers/clothes?

Where is the line drawn, and what do you think is acceptable? Does it vary depending on the age/year group? Should there be clear rules?

We had reason for 'disquiet' with our elder DC, and younger will be starting in September. I think of this as a safeguarding matter really when a pupil is maybe more vulnerable / easily led / poor judgement.

noblegiraffe Fri 06-May-16 00:10:43

I don't think my school has a policy, but kids don't tend to be all over each other where I can see them anyway. Hand holding and a quick hug I'd probably ignore (in the corridor, not the classroom!), but anything sexual rather than affectionate, so snogging, fondling, straddling, I'd definitely tell them to break it up.

TeenAndTween Fri 06-May-16 07:53:29

Thank you noble
Do you think all the teachers at your school have the same line, or are some much more permissive?

My DD is was quite rule abiding, but poor on making her own judgements in the absence of rules. My DH and I feel it would have been useful to have a clear policy to point her at.

Balletgirlmum Fri 06-May-16 13:33:24

At ds's school the school rules say "displays of physical affection are not permitted"

noblegiraffe Fri 06-May-16 14:48:46

It just doesn't seem to be an issue in my school. I suppose they could all be shagging behind the bike sheds but in the corridors the most you normally see is a couple holding hands gazing into each other's eyes when they are supposed to be in maths. Maybe having a deeply unflattering uniform helps, but they seem to police themselves.

Balletgirlmum Fri 06-May-16 14:52:42

Dd complains that at her school some students are all over each other.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now