Talk

Advanced search

Clearing offer confirmed in haste - help please!

(9 Posts)
Tamoximum Sat 15-Aug-15 18:06:34

Now dust has settled DD has come to the conclusion that there are other clearing offers available to her. She would like to hang on to offer she firmed but has now realised that she may not be able to accept others. Not great. Rather than throttle her, I am hoping there's some constructive advice for her. She will still be throttled of course after said advice has been administered..... Thank you in advances

MyPelvicFloorTrainsItself Sat 15-Aug-15 18:09:32

Has she called the options she might prefer to see if they would be interested in making her an offer?
I would do that first.

Happy36 Sat 15-Aug-15 19:58:51

She should call the institutions which she wants to go to and get an offer from one of them, then call the one she has accepted an offer from and say she has had a change in her personal circumstances and will they please release her.

If she does get a "better offer" and wants to be released by the institution she has accepted, she should not enter into any conversation with that institution as to why. They could be petty and take their time releasing her so that she cannot accept the newer offer from the uni. she wants. So she should call the first uni., tell them politely that she wishes to be released owing to a change in personal circumstances (hang up the phone if they keep asking for more details as to why) then e-mail them, "I am writing to confirm as discussed on the telephone ..."

Unis. do get understandably p'd off if applicants have entered into a contract with them then want to call it off but your daughter is also entitled to find the course that she wants and it's reasonable for 18 year olds under pressure to regret a decision.

Tamoximum Sat 15-Aug-15 22:19:55

Thank you so much Happy and Pelvic. It is hugely reassuring and excellent advice which is very much appreciated. Fingers crossed that they will be understanding. Will be sleeping much better tonight that's for sure.

Leeds2 Sat 15-Aug-15 22:26:11

I hope your DD gets the course at the uni she wants.

Tamoximum Sat 15-Aug-15 23:10:35

Who knew that the stress just goes on!!???
Thank you for your kind words.

Happy36 Sun 16-Aug-15 12:06:06

How did she get on?

Tamoximum Sun 16-Aug-15 12:59:52

She is waiting to hear - and that will be to.or row at some point by which time my nerves will be in tatters!!

Coconutty Sun 16-Aug-15 13:27:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now