Advanced search

re: tring park or hurtwood house

(5 Posts)
theredjellybean Mon 18-May-15 16:50:44

does anyone have experience of sending a child for sixth form to either of these. We have seen Tring and going to Hurtwood in 3 days. Daughter wants vocational training in musical theatre but wants to combine with french and textiles and drama a level. She loved tring but i like look of HH, worried though as read there is 50 % overseas students .

balletgirlmum Tue 19-May-15 00:32:56

The dance at Tring is very very strong. For a career in MT you need dance.

Is funding an issue as Tring have DADa awards. My dd knows of a few children there.

She's at a similar school but in lower school.

theredjellybean Tue 19-May-15 12:37:17

no funding not an issue...well i obviously have to work but can afford it !
Any other suggestions gratefully recieved...

Millymollymama Tue 19-May-15 16:21:25

I considered Tring for my DD but at year 7 entry. The dance teaching there is first class but I was concerned that, at the time, all the academic teaching took place after dance classes so took place after lunch. We were unhappy about no sport provision on site at all (even the pool was closed) and also that there is constant disappointment when pupils are not chosen for productions. I think successful students love it but we were not that keen in the end. We thought Hurtwood was very expensive when we looked for 6th form.

I would look at the destinations of leavers and direct course comparison to make a choice. I think Tring used to divide into Dance or Musical Theatre strands in the 6th form and it is very focused on this whereas Hurtwood probably has a wider remit.

balletgirlmum Tue 19-May-15 19:16:31

It's funny isn't it that some of the readins that put milky milky off Tring were things that attracted us to vocational school.

A big difference between Tring & hurt wood is that hurt wood is still a traditional 6th form where students are prepared for higher education/further vocational training at one of the performing arts colleges.

Tring is higher education, a 3 year course & students start auditioning after graduation. A levels are optional taken alongside a Level 6 diploma.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now