Talk

Advanced search

Truly, madly, deeply gifted

(26 Posts)
Quitethewoodsman Tue 30-Dec-14 14:22:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

noblegiraffe Tue 30-Dec-14 14:26:35

Get their autograph! I think it's unusual to have someone that gifted in English as usually the maturity is lacking. It's a bit more common in maths, although I'm still bowled over by one kid that I currently teach who just seems to get maths instinctively.

Quitethewoodsman Tue 30-Dec-14 14:33:38

EvilTwins Tue 30-Dec-14 14:41:44

I have two in drama. They're year 11 now but one was pretty much taking the class for me in yr 9. I had to change my approach completely - I'm not sure I've taught either of them anything for about 2 years - I've changed to providing them with opportunities instead. If they are not winning BAFTAs in the future I will be very surprised have kept pictures of them with dodgy hair to sell to the tabloids if they forget to mention me in their acceptance speeches

Quitethewoodsman Tue 30-Dec-14 14:45:11

skylark2 Tue 30-Dec-14 15:46:46

My mother remembers her father coming home and saying he had a truly wonderful actor in his class at secondary school and they should all go see him in the school play (which they did).

The boy's name was Ronald Pickup.

TooHasty Tue 30-Dec-14 19:34:13

who is he?

balia Tue 30-Dec-14 19:39:14

Ooh, very famous - google him, you'll know the face - from Best exotic and Joseph Andrews

sunnyfrostyday Fri 02-Jan-15 18:47:15

My dad had a pupil in his claas - he said at the time that she was clearly going to be "someone". Can't name names, but she's award winning and all over tv and radio.

Quitethewoodsman Fri 02-Jan-15 18:50:20

mychildrenarebarmy Tue 06-Jan-15 09:58:23

I presume you have fed back to the child's parents how pleased you are with their son/daughter's work. As a parent it would be wonderful to hear such an enthusiastic opinion from a teacher.

Our DD's English teacher has said some lovely things to her about her work, and we have obviously seen the comments he has made in her book but we haven't met him yet. I am hoping to (she is changing sets this week and will have a different teacher so we won't see him at parent's evening) because I would love to tell him how big an impression he has made in just 3 months.

HughHonour Sat 10-Jan-15 22:16:45

My sons Physics teacher emailed me this weeks over my 11 year. His assessment homework on Forces and Motion was judged outstanding and she had to consult the Head of Physics with or the formulae . She gave him her Year 11 Physics paper . He cruised through it last night ? Very curious to see how he did .
He dabbles in particle theory smile

Theas18 Sun 11-Jan-15 10:02:03

That's fab op!

Will this child sit gcse with their peers? My kids are top end able (no idea if " gifted" eldest probably is as flying at uni ) and have had some challenges at GCSE around working to far beyond the required standard so not stating what to them is " bleedin obvious" and loosing marks - thry have had to learn specific strategies to get round that. I understand it's a common issue.

Quitethewoodsman Sun 11-Jan-15 10:40:19

TooHasty Sun 11-Jan-15 11:32:56

'had some challenges at GCSE around working to far beyond the required standard so not stating what to them is " bleedin obvious" and loosing marks'

I think that is a common problem!

Quitethewoodsman Sun 11-Jan-15 12:08:48

TooHasty Sun 11-Jan-15 12:15:26

..and then quitethewoodsman they are making a time issue for themselves

Quitethewoodsman Sun 11-Jan-15 12:19:02

PausingFlatly Sun 11-Jan-15 12:25:11

Yy to losing marks by not showing the "bleeding obvious".

A friend lost their first choice post-grad place like this.

Lazymummy2014 Sun 11-Jan-15 12:25:48

Ooh I'm jealous - been a couple of years since I had "one to watch out for". In her library induction lesson (first week of yr7) she told me her favourite book was little women and I was smitten! Got to teach her for two years until she transferred to a different school. Unfortunately she was absolutely determined she was going to be a doctor - bloody waste of talent in my opinion!

Quitethewoodsman Sun 11-Jan-15 12:33:44

mychildrenarebarmy Sun 11-Jan-15 14:25:11

Totally understand the vagueness. smile

TalkinPeace Sun 11-Jan-15 15:26:21

Its funny when you can spot it isn't it.
I have school play programmes signed by a couple of classmates who are now well known.
We knew they were on a different level even at the time.

TalkinPeace Sun 11-Jan-15 15:28:13

then again DH knows a teacher who got fed up with a 12 year old girl messing about in his physics class and asked her what she planned to do with her life.
"Be a model" came the reply.
and bless her, young miss Moss did smile

sunnyfrostyday Sun 11-Jan-15 16:53:04

Talkinggrin grin grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now