TalkinPeace Tue 16-Dec-14 21:11:12

Motorola Moto G https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/phones/moto/g-4g/
DS has one and loves it
DD gets one for xmas
around £150 on PAYG
PAYG costs around £7 a month

BellaVita Tue 16-Dec-14 21:26:44

Ds2 has got an iPhone 5

Ds1 (college) did have an iPhone but preferred the Nexus 5 which he now has.

Both PAYG.

momb Tue 16-Dec-14 21:36:21

ED has the Nokia Lumia 630. Only £10 per month from Tesco plus family bonus thing so she ever goes over the limits plus they have caps in case it's a problem. It's a 3G windows phone so not necessarily the fastest thing on the market but jolly cheap and does everything she needs. If freezing is a problem where you live go for 4g instead (nokia 730 is only 12.50 a month I think).

pebblestack Tue 16-Dec-14 21:43:25

DD1 has an iPhone 4 (bought second hand with her own money, it has conked out once and she has broken the screen twice)

DD2 has a Moto G which is v good

Takver Tue 16-Dec-14 21:51:59

HTC desire - cost about £60 2nd hand but very little used. DH has the same phone, they seem to be very functional as a smartphone which doesn't cost a vast amount (I think new it would have been £90ish)

Kenlee Wed 17-Dec-14 04:21:24

We bought DD a Samsung Note 4. Good phone...reliable

myotherusernameisbetter Wed 17-Dec-14 17:59:52

DS1 (14) has a Sony Xperia SP
DS2 (13) has a Sony Xperia Miro which he is desperate to change in the Summer when his contract is up (good phone, he just wants something cooler)

I have a Samsung S3 mini and it's really good - its an upgrade from my HTC wildfire which was okay but slower than the Samsung - OH has an HTC desire which seems better than my wildfire.

MarjorieMelon Wed 17-Dec-14 18:07:09

Glad to hear the Motorola 4g is good as we have bought that for ds for Christmas, he researched it and said it was better than the iPhone. We paid £125 from Tesco, we used clubcard boost vouchers and it only cost us around £60.

Ds did want one on contract but we wanted to trial it on PAYG as I'm not sure he needs a contract phone yet. We can always switch to a SIM contract at a later date if necessary.

ThePointyAndTheIvy Thu 18-Dec-14 21:48:06

Mine both have Nokia bricklets which text and phone and that is all, on PAYG. They don't need more than that.

They are getting Kindle Fire HDs for Christmas though, so I'm not entirely mean.

If I do ever let them have smart phones they will be on capped contracts.

HowDoesThatWork Thu 18-Dec-14 21:53:27

No phones. Y7 & Y9. They both get a bus to and from the school which is about 7miles away. It works fine, just like it used to.

TalkinPeace Thu 18-Dec-14 21:56:38

Howdoes
What about when the bus does not come?
or on days when they have after school events?
or outings that end at non bus times?

Schools assume that kids have phones

I wonder what games your kids play on their friends' phones.

pointy
smart phones work fine on PAYG : kids get canny at finding free wifi smile

ThePointyAndTheIvy Thu 18-Dec-14 22:01:06

PAYG smart phones are definitely another option I'm considering, Talkin. Right now their phones are there for emergency communication. I don't have a smart phone either, nor does DH. When we make the switch, we'll all do it together.

derektheladyhamster Fri 19-Dec-14 08:30:02

3 in our family have a moto g - very good.

MillyMollyMama Fri 19-Dec-14 14:24:47

We are all iPhone 5. Before that we all had Blackberries. iPhone is way better, but if the batteries conk out, that's it. Cannot be replaced. We have a contract not PAYG. We are disciplined as to use though and don't go over but at least new phones are part of the deal.

YorkshireAtHeart Fri 19-Dec-14 16:31:14

Dd has iphone5s soon to be iphone6 because my phone has conked out and she asked for the iphone6 for Christmas if my phone hadn't a conked out she wouldn't have got the 6 but I'll have her old 5s.

Chillaxalready Fri 19-Dec-14 16:36:55

Dd has iphone4 - barely uses it as a phone, mostly as portable games station but at least it is reliable. On low monthly payment contract so not too expensive. Also very out of date now new iPhone has been released so not a target for thieves!

Kim82 Fri 19-Dec-14 16:42:39

We have bought Ds (aged 13) a nokia lumia 630 for Christmas. Seems like a decent enough phone for a child that age.

cece Fri 19-Dec-14 16:47:37

second hand iphone 4 - Year 9

Snowfire Sat 20-Dec-14 08:59:00

Dd (13) has an iPhone 5c which I have on a reduced tariff linked to my contract.

elliepac Sat 20-Dec-14 09:04:09

DS has an iphone 5C. On cheap contract and everything that could be capped is. Mainly uses it for games but has proved invaluable when it comes to releasing the reins and allowing him a little bit more independence for my own peace of mind.

isitsnowingyet Sat 20-Dec-14 09:07:54

bog standard £10 - £20 job from Tesco with pay as you go on it. For emergency lifts please Mum/Dad ringing only!

Bunbaker Sat 20-Dec-14 09:10:41

DD (14) has a Samsung Galaxy S3 mini. It is unusual for anyone not to have a smartphone at her school.

Micah Sat 20-Dec-14 09:10:54

Mine have old iPhones. Dh and I upgrade every couple of years through work so they get the old ones.

New payg sim, iCloud account so they can text for free.

Hulababy Sat 20-Dec-14 09:26:40

Dd has an iPhone 4S on contract; will be upgraded at Easter when her two years are up - no doubt with a newer iPhone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now