Talk

Advanced search

Teachers can you explain this target please?

(15 Posts)
LocalEditorWiganandSalford Tue 11-Nov-14 12:59:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

eatyourveg Tue 11-Nov-14 16:00:44

Doesn't sound right to me at all - 2 sublevels a year would be more common. Sounds like the art teacher has probably given a blanket target grade for the whole cohort instead of individualising it. Definitely query it not just because there is a reward incentive - targets should always be realistic and achievable to be fair

cricketballs Tue 11-Nov-14 17:50:22

unfortunately target grades are not generated by class teachers particular to each student's strengths/weaknesses. Targets are given to teachers and we do not have the 'power' to change them. Targets are generated from a range of data and you will find that subjects that are practical (art, drama, PE, DT etc) will have targets similar to their English targets no matter their talent/difficulties as no one in charge has yet realised that they do not correlate hmm

BoneyBackJefferson Tue 11-Nov-14 17:58:59

what year is your dd in?

BoneyBackJefferson Tue 11-Nov-14 18:01:18

Sorry pressed post too early.

as it may be the end of yr 9 target (if she is in yr 7)

PotteringAlong Tue 11-Nov-14 18:04:24

That will be what she needs to achieve to make above expected progress. Where she is now won't have come into it. And her art teacher will undoubtedly get to off at the end of the year when she hasn't met the target, regardless of how much progress she's made.

alittletreat Tue 11-Nov-14 18:30:14

During the first term my yr7 dd s been assessed for all the subjects as level 3c to 5b. I wonder if this s normal?

noblegiraffe Tue 11-Nov-14 18:39:19

Targets in art are computer generated based on performance in KS2 SATs. So you end up with the ridiculous situation where a dyspraxic student who is good at maths and English gets a stupid target for art and PE.

Hassled Tue 11-Nov-14 18:41:22

Yes - my DS3 was set ridiculous targets in Year 7 for things like Art and Music despite no artistic or musical ability whatsoever. It was based on his performance in KS2 Sats and nothing else, from what I can fathom.

eatyourveg Tue 11-Nov-14 18:43:44

I would talk to the senco and have a more realistic target entered on the IEP - thats what my dc have always had and thats what I do for my students

Mostlyjustaluker Tue 11-Nov-14 18:43:57

It sounds like it is an end of ks3 target.

The government takes a child's English and maths end of ks2 level add them together and divides then by 2, adds 2 full levels and then this is what they expect the student to get in all subject by the end of key stage 3.

cricketballs Tue 11-Nov-14 18:45:06

you are lucky that your school do that eatyourveg there is no chance that our targets will ever get reduced (despite out pleading!) the only way they move is up hmm

spanieleyes Tue 11-Nov-14 19:39:23

Similar position here with my son being given targets based on his SATS levels ( level5/6) for art and PE when he has dyspraxia. I was dragged into his secondary school in Year 7 as the school were concerned that he wasn't meeting his targets in these subjects-they didn't know he had dyspraxia! That was an interesting discussion!
"Mrs Spanieleyes, I am concerned that minispaniel is not going to achieve his end of year target in art, he seems to be behind in all of his assessments"
"Mrs ArtTeacher, you do realise he has severe dyspraxia ( and Aspergers which also affected some of his artwork!!)
"Oh, well don't worry then"

CptNancy Tue 11-Nov-14 20:59:41

Good schools don't "generate targets from end of KS2".
In our school, for non-core subjects we assess pupils in the first half term, and set targets accordingly. We expect pupils to be a lower level in MFL, DT, ICT, etc but expect progress at a faster rate than in core subjects (because, for example in DT, once they've learnt some skills and how to use equipment, they actually progress quickly).
So you may find that Jack has a target of 5B for English, 5C for maths, 3A for French, 6C for Art etc.

Of course, this is all going to change, now that schools are no longer to use NCLevels. A lot of schools are moving to 'flightpaths', where you see progress towards a target, but every school could measure/record in a different way. So helpful hmm

LocalEditorWiganandSalford Tue 11-Nov-14 21:57:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now