Talk

Advanced search

Grammar versus State Secondary? Any views?

(37 Posts)
wholesomemum Sun 19-Jan-14 18:10:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

twentyten Sun 19-Jan-14 18:15:50

Depends on the schools. Each school is different. Have a look at who walks out of the school and see what you think. Culture,expectation,opportunity all matter.

wholesomemum Sun 19-Jan-14 18:28:37

DoctorDonnaNoble Sun 19-Jan-14 18:44:40

I teach at a grammar school and went to one. Both were also state schools.
Look around the schools in question and you'll get a feel for which will be best for your child!

wholesomemum Sun 19-Jan-14 18:49:11

VivaLeBeaver Sun 19-Jan-14 18:51:53

Dd passed the eleven plus but goes to the comp in the next town which is out of the grammar catchment.

Now in her case she scraped a pass. I really was torn over whether it would be the right school for her for various reasons. Not only just scraping in but also dyslexia. Maybe the grammar would have stretched her more and she would achieve better. But maybe she'd have found the two hours of homework a night and been at the bottom of the class too much.

As it is she's at the top of her classes which she loves. But I know she's coasting and I guess won't achieve as much as if she put some more effort in. But she's only in year 8 so maybe she'll pull her finger out.

NaturalBlondeYeahRight Sun 19-Jan-14 19:14:08

Both my dd go to a mixed grammar. I love it, they like it and it has the outcomes (only exam based) that most parents would kill for.
It is def NOT a hothouse

barbour Sun 19-Jan-14 19:23:48

What is a hothouse for one child may be fine for another ...it all depends on the child and what he/she can cope with. If they scraped into a superselective grammar school after arduous intensive tutoring, it may still not be the right school for them if they can't deal (or equally don't want to deal) with the additional academic pressure to get only As and A* and lots of homework that goes with that.

invicta Sun 19-Jan-14 19:26:00

All schools are different, and all children are different. GS suit some children, but not all. My ds go to two different GS - neither are hothouses.

TalkinPeace Sun 19-Jan-14 19:49:57

(a) Grammar is state
(b) grammars only exist in small pockets of the country
(thank goodness)

Timeforabiscuit Sun 19-Jan-14 19:50:05

I went to a single sex grammar, and while I didn't find it a hot house some of my friends definitely did. That and it was just assumed that you would be carrying on for a levels and then to university. I'd consider whether this was a good fit.

I would also closely look at what pastoral set up there is and what current pupils think of it and how they made use of it, of a close group of friends none of us had an easy ride through puberty via parents going through mud slinging divorces, anorexia, depression and some really nasty gang related bullying (around home rather than school).

I'm sure you'll get a good feel for a school when you walk through the halls, I felt mine was good despite the wool blazer, Latin school song and mahogany specimen cabinets - not because of them grin

HurstMum Sun 19-Jan-14 21:35:31

We happen to live in one of those small pockets of the country which has a superselective grammar (thank goodness), otherwise we'd have felt compelled to go private.

TalkinPeace Sun 19-Jan-14 21:50:51

Hurstmum
why?
what if your kids had not got in?
and maybe you should have been forced to go private if you can afford it (see Antony Seddon article thread)

HurstMum Sun 19-Jan-14 22:34:30

Why ? because the non-grammar alternatives in our catchment are not up to scratch for a very academic child with high aspirations ...and not sure why anyone should be "forced" to go private but in reality many middle class types feel that way if their local state schools (absent an excellent grammar or leafy comp) are either vastly oversubscribed so they cannot get in or fall far short of the local privates.

happygardening Sun 19-Jan-14 23:52:43

OP what ever school you look at someone will pop up with a horror story and attribute any negative personality traits they or their DH BIL etc might have to their schooling. Just because this was their experience it doesn't mean it will be your DD's especially if it was 20 years ago. Go and look objectively at the schools your interested in, talk formally and informally to as many people as possible and form your own opinions.

curlew Mon 20-Jan-14 10:29:16

grin
only 13 posts til "leafy comp"! Is this a record?

OP - what do you mean by "grammar or state?" Grammar schools are state schools usually- except the ones that used to be grammars but went private and kept the name. What sort of grammar school are you talking about?

wordfactory Mon 20-Jan-14 12:05:38

OP, of course you can raise a secure and confident kid who also happens to attend a selective school grin.

AliceLostinWonderland Mon 20-Jan-14 19:09:13

I think OP means grammar vs comprehensives....me thinks!

TalkinPeace Mon 20-Jan-14 19:51:35

but as has been done to death ad nauseam, where there are lots of grammars there by definition can be no comprehensives

DoctorDonnaNoble Mon 20-Jan-14 19:53:20

Lots of people assume grammar schools aren't state schools. I had this a lot at university.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 20-Jan-14 19:58:31

Talkinpeace. I've said this to death on MN. grin

Where we live we have grammars, secondary moderns and comps. We really do.

Our village and a handful of other small villages are in the middle between two towns. One town is comps only. The other is grammar and secondary modern. We are in the catchment for the comps in one town and the grammar in the other. Not in the catchment for the secondary modern.

I have lost count of the people on here who've told me that my dd can't go to a comp if we're in eleven plus area. But she definitely does.

Oubliette0292 Mon 20-Jan-14 20:02:53

I went to a grammar school, as did DBro. DSis1 and DSis2 both went to a comprehensive school. Myself and DSis1 have much wider circles of friends than DBro and DSis2. So socially I don't think it makes much difference. As an academic springboard it made a huge difference (both myself and DBro got places at Oxbridge). I'd send DD and DS to grammar school if it was an option. Sadly we don't have any.

curlew Mon 20-Jan-14 20:29:38

Viva- is that just a happy accident because of where your house is? If you lived in the grammar school town, would you get a place in the comprehensive if you didn't make the cut for grammar?

BaconAndAvocado Mon 20-Jan-14 22:51:28

We live in an 11+ area and DS1 didn't pass the 11+ exam.

He went to an ordinary comprehensive/high school and now, in Year 11, is doing extremely well, aiming to go to University to study Chemical Engineering.

It was the right place for him and I think, had he passed and gone to grammar, he wouldn't have coped well with the pressure.

littledrummergirl Mon 20-Jan-14 23:13:50

I have one at a ss grammar and one at a comprehensive. Each school is the right environment for that child.
The core curriculum is the same in both school the difference is the breadth of additional subjects. The grammar runs a two week timetable so the pupils get additional subjects-eg. Three languages instead of one. They are all considered to be bright and able to cope with the speed of learning.
The other difference is that all of the children want to learn at the grammar, they are invested in their futures. This is not always the case at the comp which makes it more difficult for the teachers and children who want to learn.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now