Talk

Advanced search

school bag - new year 7

(12 Posts)
MrsRichards Fri 02-Aug-13 13:07:46

Which school bag for a new year 7 boy? I have heard others say 'don't by the cheap things as they fall apart when thrown around the playground and on the bus' - but I have literally no idea what a boys' school bag looks like (or what is a cheap or not so cheap one)

Also, which sports bag? We've used those drawstring ones at primary school but that wont be big enough now.

Many thanks (new secondary school mum and practically clueless)

Thanks!

Tigerblue Fri 02-Aug-13 16:24:12

I know you're looking to buy for a boy, but my daughter is about to go into Year 8. There are days when they have a really heavy bag to carry, so you need something that is good quality that won't fall apart quickly and I'd recommend a rucksack - my friend's son had a rucksack and it lasted him all year. My daughter wanted a fashion bag to start with and the strap broke, then another bag which wore really quickly at the bottom - both in the first term. At Christmas I insisted on a rucksack (we sound one in the sale) and it's still got use in it. Funnily enough, many of her friends swapped over to them at the same time as they'd had the same problem.

She has a drawstring bag for sports with an extra pocket which I bought for about £3.50 from Amazon. She likes the extra pocket for things like shin pads/gum guards. She says some of the girls use supermarket bags, others have old fashion, so most of different

5madthings Fri 02-Aug-13 16:26:31

I get my boys good ones from tk maxx, like eastpac or kippling etc. You can get them at good prices and they have withstood being thrown, kicked around etc. Ds1 has had his three years now and ds2 and ds3 have had theirs over a year and they will be fine for next year.

They have another smaller rucksack type bag for pe kit.

lljkk Fri 02-Aug-13 16:30:34

Primark has decent looking backpacks, so they must be coming back into fashion. Top Shop for same style but higher price & quality.

MrsRichards Fri 02-Aug-13 19:04:57

very helpful tips, thank you!

anchovies Fri 02-Aug-13 19:15:31

My ds is still primary (but I teach secondary) and I'd go to sports direct and get a branded rucksack (nike, adidas, converse or whatever) plus an extra bag with drawstrings for PE smile

mumslife Fri 02-Aug-13 20:06:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

maiacam Sun 04-Aug-13 10:48:44

My son has had this since year 7 and is still going strong 2 years later

Jansport Big Student Rucksack from Amazon

starfleet Mon 05-Aug-13 14:46:44

DS will be going into Year 9 in Sept. After a few mishaps with the fashion type bags (branded messenger style) in Year 7 he decided a rucksack was the best option - he has northface hiking type one and it's lasted 2 years and is big enough to carry both textbooks and workbooks/lunch/and the general crap he carts around! His sports bag is one now of the old messenger type bags when he needs lots of kit and one of the small drawstring ones when he is swimming or doesn't need as much.

xylem8 Mon 05-Aug-13 19:08:16

They all have messenger bags here

MrsRichards Wed 07-Aug-13 18:17:17

Is a messenger bag the same as a track bag? That's what I've ordered DS - a Nike track bag.

teacherwith2kids Wed 07-Aug-13 21:07:53

Second the Big Student bag from Jansport. DS's has had ultra-high usage for a year and still looks brand new...and it holds a LOT.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »