Advanced search

GCSE science

(12 Posts)
SnowLeopard27 Sat 09-Feb-13 21:23:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Knowsabitabouteducation Sat 09-Feb-13 21:29:41

Two Sciences is fine, presumably Core and Additional. It is much better to get 2 A* than 3 Bs.

An important consideration, however, is how the school does option blocks. If there is a top set doing double, the fine. If they put the triple scientists into the top sets and doubles into middle, this may jeopardise her chances of getting A*. It may not be obvious from the bumph of the school so worth digging deep with the Head of Science.

Knowsabitabouteducation Sat 09-Feb-13 21:35:12

Another thing to think of is how they do triple science.

If they do Core/Additional/Further, they can sit the Core Science at the end of Y10, then Additional and Further at the end of Y11 along with everything else.

If they do Biology, Chemistry and Physics, they do all three exams at the end of Y11. This route means they have to persevere with all three subjects all the way to the end; the other route is more flexible and they really only need to buy into the third set of modules on entering Y11. The material studied is identical.

busymummy3 Sun 10-Feb-13 00:44:53

So may I just check something with you Knowsabit My DD is currently in Y11 and is doing Biology, Physics and Chemistry separately so far has got an A* in Core Science (she keeps calling this dotty sheets?) and has sat Unit 1 last January which she did quite well (A Biology,A Chemistry and A Physics).
She has just sat Unit 2 a couple of weeks ago(results due beginning of March) and is now busy doing ISA's.
She does not want to study Sciences in Sixth Form so could she now call it a day and get certificated on what she has done so far or would it be advisable to see it through to the end? If she gets even a sniff that there is a possibility to end with Science now she would be running into the Science department ASAP to request not to be entered for Unit 3's

Knowsabitabouteducation Sun 10-Feb-13 16:45:02

It depends on the exam board. You can do this with Edexcel but if she is doing ISAs, then it's not Edexcel.

It really depends on the codes of the papers that she has already taken. That's if the paper codes differ for triple vs core/additional, which they have in the past.

If the paper codes are the same, they simply put in the Additional Science cash-in code on the entry, which will prompt the exam board to issue a certificate. If the cash-in codes are different, there is a bit of work for the exams officer, and perhaps some cash needs to change hands. BTW, entries for June are going in about now, so it is important to be on top of this if you want to intervene - do it tomorrow.

ShipwreckedAndComatose Sun 10-Feb-13 18:50:56

If its AQAthen you would need to be careful. You need to submit two different bits of coursework for core and additional. But you need three for triple and they have to be the additional type. So she may not have the right coursework to count for the double award core bit.

Knowsabitabouteducation Sun 10-Feb-13 18:58:59

If she has done CA for separate sciences, they should be of the additional standard, so fine for Sci/AdSci.

But excellent point. Switching from one form of assessment to another (vertical to horizontal) needs to be very carefully looked at. There are undoubtably many nuances that no one has really thought of or encountered before since this is new territory for everyone (including the exam boards).

ShipwreckedAndComatose Sun 10-Feb-13 19:08:09


busymummy3 Sun 10-Feb-13 22:43:05

She is doing AQA for all three And the Units she has just sat are BL2HP,CH2HP and PH2HP which she will get the results for in March then she will go on to sit Unit 3 in June. She has done the Biology ISA and CHemistry ISA and think is doing Physics ISA soon.
The qualification she already has got is AQA Science A which she got A* as a result.
Think on reflection it will be better to plough on , and will at least have 3 good results (hopefully !) in August. As she has done so much work now seems silly not to.

SanityClause Sun 10-Feb-13 22:50:29

At DD1's school, they can do dual science, but still go on to do single sciences at A level/IB, provided they get an A in the exam for that particular science. It is a school with a good Oxbridge track record, and most of the girls go to Russell Group universities, so it doesn't seem to be a problem for UCAS.

Knowsabitabouteducation Mon 11-Feb-13 06:49:52

Universities really don't care about the subjects taken at GCSE, as long as the minimum entry requirements are met - English, Maths, Science, and possibly a modern language at C grade. I can't imagine them having a point of view about 2 vs 3 sciences.

What matters to universities are A level subjects and grades.

Competitive universities might screen on the number of As at GCSE, so it's important for students to do their very best, even if they are dropping the subject.

Knowsabitabouteducation Mon 11-Feb-13 06:58:08


If she is getting individual certificates for Core (B1 + C1 + P1) and Additional (B2+ C2 + P2), then she might as well plough on with the Further (B3 + C3 + P3) modules. She will be done in a couple of months, and her further result won't impact on her other qualifications.

If she's being certified in Biology (B1 + B2 + B3), Chemistry (C1 + C2 + C3), and Physics (P1 + P2 + P3), and her heart is still in it so she does well on the 3 modules, then there are no worries. However, if she feels her "3" modules will not be up to scratch, then it might be worth thinking about altering the assessment route before her entries go in.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: