Talk

Advanced search

Morrisby profile test - has anyone (or their DC) done it?

(8 Posts)
upatdawn Thu 15-Sep-11 20:38:52

My DTSs (15) are doing the Morrisby profile test next week at school as part of their careers guidance but I have no idea what it does. All they have come out with is that it 'tells you what job you should do' hmm

Has anyone done it or had any experience of it? It's bloody expensive so I want to know what it is I'm paying for!

crazycarol Thu 15-Sep-11 22:33:05

My dd will be doing it shortly and we got an information leaflet about it. I remember doing something very similar when I was at school. It is a load of silly questions. It will give you an idea of career choices that suit your personality / interests. It certainly wont tell you what job to do! I remember wanting to be a teacher for a long time (no idea why but maybe because my mum was one?), it came back saying that teaching would not be suitable as I was very shy and introverted, how true they were! I ended up doing sciences at uni as I was a very curious person and it was suggested that this was a good area for me. I think if someone already knows what they want to do and are likely to achieve it, it might not be good value for money, but for people (like dd) who have no idea at all it should give them some idea of where to start looking, and for those who are unsure or may not get the necessary qualifications it may give them further ideas.

planetpotty Thu 15-Sep-11 22:39:40

I did the Morrisby test (15 years ago!!) it was free then though sad

Hmmm I seem to remember it being a whole load of multiple choice questions like

Would you say you feel more comfortable working

. in a team
. alone
. both in a team and alone

Im sure the questions go much much deeper and more complex than this though.

At the end we got a book if I remember rightly with our questions and answers and a page telling us areas of work we were suited to.

Sorry all a bit vague here but for me to slightly rememgber it it must have bee interesting....I remember there being a buzz around the day the results came back.... I didn't end up doing what it said I would though ;)

planetpotty Thu 15-Sep-11 22:40:33

The page was in a narative and not just a list like

Butcher

Baker

Candle stick maker

Berries Thu 15-Sep-11 22:45:12

DD1 has just done it - got the results back this week. it consists of a lot of 'ability' type tests (logic, verbal reasoning, maths, spatial awareness, attention to detail etc) and a lot of 'personality' type, plus a few direct questions (would you like to work outdoors etc).

The results seem remarkably accurate tbh, and they did pick out a selection of occupations which I think would suit her much more than the one she was leaning towards. it's certainly made her think about things as well.

Sad thing is I suspect it would be really good for the children who don't have parents with a good knowledge of the different types of careers which may be available, and they are probably the ones least likely to get chance to do it (and I know that's a sweeping generalisation but hope you know what I mean)

Lilymaid Thu 15-Sep-11 22:49:13

DS took it when he was 15 (several years ago). He said it asked a lot of silly questions and his suggested careers did not match his real life strengths. He said that nearly everyone in his class got the same career suggestions!
It played no part whatsoever in guiding his A Level/degree and subsequent career path. We thought it was a waste of money - as did most others at his school.

100lilgreen Fri 16-Sep-11 15:59:22

Yes my daughter did it last year and it was helpful i guess if you have no idea what you want to do in life. It shows you possible job options and courses at uni which you may enjoy and also what alevels you should be thinking about doing

Nelleh Sun 09-Oct-11 22:36:47

My son did the test back in year 10. At the time he was dead set on becoming an architect but the test suggested aeronautical design.

He has just started his first year at uni - studying physics!

I thought it was a reasonable guide!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now