Advanced search

Who applies for child contact via court?

(10 Posts)
Fightingback16 Wed 29-Apr-20 16:47:41

I just wanted to clarify something. I stopped child contact with dds father a few months ago. Final straw dd ending up in ambulance. Husband was physically and emotionally abusive, used dd to get to me.

I stopped it mid Dec. Husband is still contacting my solicitor to find out when I’ll change my mind, he keeps getting advised in return to get legal advice. I haven’t and won’t change my mind. I was just waiting until he finally wakes up and applied for contact via court.

I just wondered if I’m supposed to be applying first or just hang on and wait?

OP’s posts: |
TreeTopTim Wed 29-Apr-20 16:49:22

What would you be applying for?

If he wants to see his child he has to pursue it through the courts.

Techway Wed 29-Apr-20 16:53:17

Usually the party who wants contact. He would have to see a solicitor, apply for a contact order which given the circumstances would be Cafcass report.

Did he harm your daughter or careless which caused injury. If so was the circumstances documented by solicitor or health professionals?

Sadly courts do try to maintain some level of contact unless the risk to child is very high and clearly documented.

The longer he doesn't try to get contact the more it works in your favour. How old is your daughter?

Fightingback16 Wed 29-Apr-20 16:54:35

I thought that would be the case. I just sit and wait. I don’t really know why he keeps bothering my solicitor asking what’s happening.

OP’s posts: |
Fightingback16 Wed 29-Apr-20 16:55:17

She is four.

OP’s posts: |
ChandlerIsTheBestFriend Wed 29-Apr-20 16:58:53

I just wondered if I’m supposed to be applying first or just hang on and wait?

Why would you apply for contact you don’t want him to have? confused

Anyway. You just ignore him. If he is serious about contact he will get his own solicitor who will advise him to apply for a court order. You don’t need to do anything until you are summonsed to court. Are you having to pay your solicitor every time they have to deal with one of your exes calls or letters and relays them to you?

Fightingback16 Wed 29-Apr-20 17:01:01

He is an absolute liability. I tried but he used it as a route to intimidate me and I won’t live like it anymore. Im doing this as he put our daughter in constant danger. I can’t communicate with him so court seemed like the only option. I think he is too scared to apply because he would rather get contact via me as he knows what he has done.

OP’s posts: |
Fightingback16 Wed 29-Apr-20 17:01:36

No she is lovely and not charging me.

OP’s posts: |
ChandlerIsTheBestFriend Wed 29-Apr-20 17:04:27

That’s good. Could you ask her to only inform you of his letters include something you need to know about or respond to? Like a court summons. Otherwise she can just keep his letters in your file.

Fightingback16 Wed 29-Apr-20 17:05:41

Yes I was going to suggest this. I’m suffering from PTSD and they just put me on edge for no reason really.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in