Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

You know your parents will always treat you like a child when (insert own text here)

(33 Posts)
Fimbo Fri 24-Aug-07 19:31:10

they phone up at 9.30 in the morning to find out if you "are coping" - just because dh has been away for a week with work. hmm

RubyRioja Fri 24-Aug-07 19:32:37

My Mum used to grab my hand when we cross a road together - despite the fact I would be pusing a buggy and managing two toddlers.smile

Mistymoo Fri 24-Aug-07 19:33:37

they only fill your wine glass half way grin

charmkin Fri 24-Aug-07 19:34:22

they tell you off for swearing

Raggydoll Fri 24-Aug-07 19:35:11

when in the car my mom puts her arm out to stop me lurching when she breaks hard

weebleswobble Fri 24-Aug-07 19:36:26

my mother asks if I really need to eat that cake hmm

Carmenere Fri 24-Aug-07 19:36:48

When they try not to let you pay for anything when you go away with them. Which is nice up to a point but then you realise that it has a subtle 'poor relation/power base' under tone and it is actually quite humiliating and your big brother has to argue with your mum in a restaurant to allow her to let you pay the billhmm

choosyfloosy Fri 24-Aug-07 19:38:47

when my mum holds a tissue to my nose and says 'blow'

this happened when I was 27

DrNortherner Fri 24-Aug-07 19:38:53

When you go to visit parents with your child for the weekend and have a night out with old schol pals, when you role home at 1.00am and creep up teh stairs you Mum shouts 'Is that you, are you OK? I can't sleep till I know you are home safe'

I'm 31 FFS!

NeverEndingPileOfLaundry Fri 24-Aug-07 19:40:17

They phone you up to remind you it is your uncle / auntie / cousin / grandmother's birthday, and "you won't forget to buy a card will you?" when the card is already in the post to said relative......

Miaou Fri 24-Aug-07 19:42:37

my mother rings me up to ask if i've sent birthday cards to my brothers/granny/aunt etc. It really f*cks me off and I'm so tempted not to send them just for badness! She told me off for not sending one to db1 this year but shut up when i pointed out that he hasn't sent me one in the last ten years and neither of us care!!! grrrrrrr.........

Miaou Fri 24-Aug-07 19:43:14

pmsl laundry - glad it's not just me !

Fimbo Fri 24-Aug-07 19:44:02

LOL grin - I can relate to each and every one of these smile

NeverEndingPileOfLaundry Fri 24-Aug-07 19:44:28

Glad it's not just me Miaow!!

NeverEndingPileOfLaundry Fri 24-Aug-07 19:45:13

x-posts!!!

mistressmiggins Fri 24-Aug-07 19:45:50

your dad says "if you get a dog, Im moving out" shock
my reply was "I dont expect you to help me with the dog but I am 37 so can get one if I want one"

mistressmiggins Fri 24-Aug-07 19:46:15

by the way I dont live with my parents so dont know why he threatened to move outgrin

choosyfloosy Fri 24-Aug-07 19:48:03

mistress m, did he mean that he wants a dog so much that he would move in with you? grin

mistressmiggins Fri 24-Aug-07 19:48:06

oh yes - when driving my parents with my dad sitting next to me, he reaches for the handbrake or pumps the floor madly - just like 20 yrs ago when I was learning to driveangry

mistressmiggins Fri 24-Aug-07 19:48:43

no choosy - he means he doesnt think I can cope with 2 kids & part-time work (single parent) and thinks I will leave the dog walking to him

ColdPenguin Fri 24-Aug-07 22:46:37

When you're ordering a meal in a restaurant and your mum butts in to say to the waiter "can you do a plain piece of chicken with no sauce or anything? she's a fussy one" whilst waving her hand vaguely in your direction.

My mum still does this. I'm 28.

littlemissbossy Fri 24-Aug-07 22:49:19

they tell you to be careful on the roads "traffic's busy at this time of day"
I've been driving for 20 years FGS

JARM Fri 24-Aug-07 22:52:09

My dad makes me walk on the inside of him down the road so I cant be hit by a car

Makes me phone him when i get back from visiting because im driving

insisted i phone him tomorrow morning when we get to inlaws to make sure we get there ok, regardless of what time it is. Also to have my mobile charged and with credit.

thegirlwithnoname Sat 25-Aug-07 00:03:06

When you go to Paris for the weekend and don't ring within the first four hours to say you are there .... so my mother rang the hotel, but we had been moved to another hotel because it was full, so she rang the Parisan Police to report me missing. I was 27, and visiting my Canadian penpal who was holidaying in Paris. NO ONE has ever let me live this down.

ally90 Sat 25-Aug-07 09:22:05

tell you to check the temperature of your babies bath water

<rolls eyes...>

cut your hair at 7mth pg as baby will pull it

<rolls eyes...>

don't go near birds as they may have bird flu (in UK) (from the MIL)

<rolls eyes...>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now