Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Telling new bf my past...

(11 Posts)
casualbikeride Wed 18-Jan-17 21:35:19

I made some mistakes when I was younger. I got in financial trouble and went bankrupt. Would you tell a bf or not??

It will have no impact on our lives but just wondered if I should. Wwyd??

ferriswheel Wed 18-Jan-17 21:35:45

Yes I'd tell.

PidgeyfinderGeneral Wed 18-Jan-17 21:38:08

I wouldn't keep it a secret but equally, I wouldn't be doing a whole big confessional thing about it. It's something that happened in your past, it doesn't define you as a person or your future.

HalfaFishFingerAndTwoPeas Wed 18-Jan-17 21:39:36

Depends how long you've been together. 2 weeks? No. 2 years and moving in together? Yes.

ShatnersBassoon Wed 18-Jan-17 21:40:05

Yes, though I'd wait until it seemed like you were serious enough to be making financial decisions together. It would be mentioned on a need to know basis.

HalfaFishFingerAndTwoPeas Wed 18-Jan-17 21:40:25

Just seen new in the title grin no I wouldn't unless it comes up in conversation or things get serious.

SheldonCRules Wed 18-Jan-17 21:40:51

Yes I'd tell, there should be no secrets.

For many, it would be a big no, I'd not date a partner who had gone bankrupt. Even if it happened when younger, they were still an adult.

Juice23 Wed 18-Jan-17 21:43:42

It depends how new the relationship is.. but yeah I would tell. No secrets is best, just be honest and your partner will see that things have changed now and you've learned from mistakes

casualbikeride Wed 18-Jan-17 21:44:49

Thanks all. I thought I should but am dreading it. It's newish, we've known each other a long time and are finally going down the relationship route.

CatBallou2 Wed 18-Jan-17 22:43:54

You can tell new BF. No need to worry about it. It's just one of those things that can happen in life. You dealt with a difficult financial situation and have moved on.

Are you worried about his reaction?

casualbikeride Thu 19-Jan-17 07:23:37

I think I'll wait and see how things go. We're not going to be making financial decisions together or moving in together anytime soon.

For info - half the debt included was my Exdps. He had credit cards in his name that were from accounts. Really wish I had a time machine 😞

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now