Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

What do you think?

(15 Posts)
emm0371 Mon 07-Nov-16 20:11:30

I have been with my partner nearly a year now. We live together.
Today we both got offers jobs with the same company. Opposite ends of the building. Office work. Anyway he says to me in the car that we should pretend to be single to see who may be interested????? Seriously my heart stopped. He cheated on his x wife five years ago. My gut feeling is exploding. I am not scared to be alone, but am I overreacting?

user114114 Mon 07-Nov-16 20:12:29

Errrr no! That is not normal!

Not really sure what else to say but I wouldn't go along with that at all!!

Fedupofhim Mon 07-Nov-16 20:13:14

Tell him to take a hike.

TurnipCake Mon 07-Nov-16 20:14:50

WTF?

This guy wants an excuse to do it in plain sight, the cheeky bellend

emm0371 Mon 07-Nov-16 20:16:34

Yeah my thoughts exactly.

leaveittothediva Mon 07-Nov-16 20:17:04

If he is serious. He needs to be single. He's not learned a thing from his marriage break up, he's carrying on with the same game plan. A recipe for disaster.

NotTheFordType Mon 07-Nov-16 20:17:44

I would assume he was just joking? In poor taste, but I'd say poorly judged rather than an indicator of intent.

emm0371 Mon 07-Nov-16 20:19:30

When he realised I was not laughing at his lame attempt he said he was joking.

Ohdearducks Mon 07-Nov-16 20:25:53

Sounds like he doesn't want any women at the new job to know he's got a girlfriend. That would set alarm bells off for me.

emm0371 Mon 07-Nov-16 20:38:16

Yeah, that was just what I thought too. There are so many other things that ring alarm bells to me. He doesn't like the fact that once I qualify as a PT, I will be surrounded by gym guys and that sort. I have never cheated and never will, somehow, since we have been together, my gut instinct has not left me alone. He is very much into how he looks and loves attention.

Foxtato Mon 07-Nov-16 20:43:28

There's no reason to say to do something like that except give himself options and chances.

So disrespectful.

emm0371 Mon 07-Nov-16 20:47:21

Yeah, he just laughed at me when I said that, and told me he was joking. We are both in our 40s so not young adults. Thank you all for your replays.

spicyfajitas Tue 08-Nov-16 09:29:09

He's telling you who he is. Please listen and untangle yourself from him

IreallyKNOWiamright Tue 08-Nov-16 09:34:08

I would be livid. If my dh said that I would think I'm an embarrassment to him.

hellsbellsmelons Tue 08-Nov-16 13:36:03

He sounds like a knob-head.
I know what I'd be saying to him.
Your gut has not left you alone and it never will.
It's no way to carry on though.
You are in your 40's. Look great. Get out there and find a man who is so proud to be with you he tells everyone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now