Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Divorcing help!

(4 Posts)
validusername Wed 14-Sep-16 22:34:07

My mum is married to a very abusive man (he ended up in prison for beating the crap out of her and breaking her nose and jaw) and has been separated from him for about 18 months now. She was emergency housed thanks to women's aid and he can no longer contact her.

So now she wants to divorce him so she can properly move on, mainly because she has met a nice man and would like a proper fresh start. She had been to see a solicitor who told her it would be £1000-5000! Is this right? She cannot afford that as she is disabled and cannot work.

Is there any financial help available for women in this situation at all?

ChristinaParsons Wed 14-Sep-16 22:43:47

You can get legal aid if the police are able to substantiate the abuse

validusername Wed 14-Sep-16 22:45:08

Perfect, that's what I wanted to know. Will look into it thanks.

hellsbellsmelons Thu 15-Sep-16 11:00:20

Yep legal aid.
She can contact Womens Aid again who can help her with this.
I'm sorry she got so hurt but very glad she has found a nice man.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now