Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Amicable Divorce?

(8 Posts)
Mildinsanity Sun 31-Jul-16 17:36:03

Ive been seperated from Ex DH for over 5 years, we are still friends to an extent and we have 4DCs together.
He and I have decided its time to sort out a divorce.
He is however a massive man child doesnt work, wont work and wont do anything to help the process but is happy to sign whatever I put in front of him, he also has no fixed address so Im not sure how I can send him paperwork unless I keep hold of it and give it to him when he visits the DCs.

Our DCs contact and maintenance has been amicably sorted with no outside help so dont see the need for a long drawn out divorce but also have no idea whats involved or what I should do to start with.

Any mumsnetters out there able to advise?

FreeFromHarm Sun 31-Jul-16 18:59:46

How can he have no fixed address ? sorry to be curt , is he possibly living with someone else and you do not know it ....?
So if he is not working, is it amicable enough to split the fees then...or is he expecting for you to pay ?

orangeistheonlyfruit Sun 31-Jul-16 19:18:57

Yes you need to find out if he is paying half the fees.

If no fixed address he will need to use a family member for the correspondence or even the lawyers will hold everything there for him for a fee and then he can go there to retrieve and drop off the documentation. I think the decrees require a residential address though but maybe someone else will come along who knows better?

Mildinsanity Sun 31-Jul-16 19:30:26

He uses his Mums address for corrospondance afaik? but he is sofa surfing currently with friends near my hometown about 120miles away from his mums, she tends to forward his post to me but not sure how thay would work with a divorce.

Ill be paying the fees because he cant/wont afford them.

Minime85 Sun 31-Jul-16 21:24:07

I'd send to his mums then. You can just go for the 5 year separated then and he doesn't have to even agree to it.

NotSos Sun 31-Jul-16 21:51:41

We did it, really easily. Just had to print documents off the internet from the Courts Website, the one relevant to where you live. I went for the preliminary interview, which is basically to help you with filling the forms in, if not using solicitors at all. It was really easy and ended up just costing about £600 all in, which we split. He will definitely have to have a postal address - I am sure his mum's will be fine - as you do have to post the petition to him - you are not allowed to just hand it to him, Not sure why , maybe for safety in DV cases or something. Anyway, good luck. I found it a very smooth and simple process. If you are on good terms, go over the forms together so he knows exactly what the forms will say, in advance, and just has to sign them - that's what we did.

murrell0cherri Mon 01-Aug-16 09:28:18

The forms are available from the gov. website as stated above.

Your STBX will need an address that he can be contacted on for the 6-9 months that the average divorce takes to be completed.

Lack of contact is a common reason for proceedings to be delayed, so if you can arrange something in advance this will help things move along quickly.

Fee remission is available for those individuals of lower income and benefits, a full or partial remission of the divorce application fee is available if you meet the criteria.

See below:

Hope this helps

Mildinsanity Mon 01-Aug-16 10:40:01

Thank you all seems pretty simple :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now