Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Moving in together 2nd time around?

(13 Posts)
givemegladioli Mon 29-Feb-16 21:40:19

For those of you who met 2nd partners & settled down together, how long before you moved in together? We're only 3 months but I'm already thinking about it.

cocochanel21 Mon 29-Feb-16 22:28:53

DH and I were together 2yrs before he moved in.

I'd been on my own with my dd for a long time and was very wary about living together.

Together 10 years now.

Offred Mon 29-Feb-16 22:31:16

6 months I moved in with xh by necessity and was too soon. Nearly 3 years this time and no plans to move in,

Estimated201 Mon 29-Feb-16 22:59:12

4 months

WhatsGoingOnEh Mon 29-Feb-16 23:01:48

5 years. Could've/should've waited even longer. Living with men (IMO) is more boring than living alone or with kids.

TickingClock1 Mon 29-Feb-16 23:08:41

There is no one size fits all, my DP moved in very quickly & still here!! Life is too short, if it feels right, do it. Just protect yourself & make sure you can move out / move him out very quickly if it doesn't work out.

Slowdecrease Tue 01-Mar-16 08:05:01

With my exp it was two years - and disasterous despite having known him about 18 years already. With DP now we've been together almost a year and a half and looking to get a house with him before the year is out....that being a house new to both of us not him moving in with me or vice versa,,I think that makes a difference.

TheNaze73 Tue 01-Mar-16 08:30:02

First wife, 6 months. Far too early. This time around, been together nearly two years & no plans to do so whatsoever as yet.

JapanNextYear Tue 01-Mar-16 08:36:05

2 years, he was recently out of a relationship, had kids and I really didn't want to move in. Should probably have trusted my instincts as I'm not a natural SM or v good at living with people...

There's a lot to be said for keeping separate houses if you can. I love DH but don't find the set up easy...

Secretlove Tue 01-Mar-16 08:55:26

Have a look at the Aibu thread on never living with a man again. Don't know why you're considering it after 3 months but good luck anyway!

BertieBotts Tue 01-Mar-16 09:01:45

9 months, was way too soon, moved out again for a year + moved back in and it was better.

3 months is crazy. Do you have DC?

Kr1stina Tue 01-Mar-16 09:07:21

Well it depends on the risks, doesn't it ?

Do either of you have kids and woudo the kids be living with you, either full time or part time ? If so, then it's totally crazy .

would you be giving up a job,or the rent of a flat you love ? Or even selling your house ? If so, then it's also very risky .

If you rent a flat you don't like and you wouldn't be changing your job or social life , if you won't have joint finances and you are young and reckless - well you might want to risk it .

TheNaze73 Wed 02-Mar-16 09:24:23

What are you going to do givemegladioli Have you spoken about it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now