Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Match.com parties, any good?

(24 Posts)
Lailalaila Sun 19-Jul-15 13:31:44

I've been 'invited' to a Match 'padlock party' in London where all the women have padlocks & the men have keys. It sounds like a fun night. Based in London there should be a good spread of men hopefully. Anyone had any experience?

PanGalaticGargleBlaster Sun 19-Jul-15 13:39:43

Sounds ghastly to be honest.

I attended a few group events organised by a now defunct dating site years ago. In this instance it was a cycle ride around a London Park, roughly two groups of 12 or so men and women. Basically ended up with about two of the women being chased by pretty much all the men with the others being completely ignored which must have been a bit shit for them. Because there were so many men competing for the attention of so few women it kind of turned into a nightmarish alpha male oneupmanship. It was a car crash in slow motion. Stuck to one to one dating after that!

Trills Sun 19-Jul-15 13:42:29

Worth a try. What will you have lost? If you hate it you can leave any time you like.

Lock and key sounds cheesy but it does at least mean that you have a reason to go up to people and say hi.

Thenapoleonofcrime Sun 19-Jul-15 13:43:35

Is this an advert?

If not, I think the bit about the padlock and keys sounds simply awful.

Meeting nice people in a party setting- obviously quite nice if you are single!

InTheBox Sun 19-Jul-15 13:44:20

PanGalactic I'd love to hear more about that story, it sounds quite hilarious in hindsight, I suppose!

As for the party, if you haven't got anything better planned and just want to have a night out with a padlock then go forth. It'll probably be a mix of alcohol induced awkwardness and all that sort of thing brings.

WallyBantersJunkBox Sun 19-Jul-15 13:45:12

Where do you put the padlock?

PanGalaticGargleBlaster Sun 19-Jul-15 13:49:57

Where do you put the padlock?

You hang it from your belt buckle

Wrapdress Sun 19-Jul-15 15:27:48

I have been to several Match parties and they all have a game of sorts as an excuse to talk to each other - matching something or writing something on your name tag instead of your name. Some play and some don't play. It doesn't matter. It's a conversation starter if you want it, ignore it if you think it's silly.

Lailalaila Sun 19-Jul-15 16:53:19

I thought it sounded fun! Luckily my friend did too so we're going together. If it turns out to be terrible we can have a giggle together on the way home about just how many fat/balding 50+yo men turned up. It'll be a learning experience. Maybe I'll report back. If it's totally pants we can chalk it up to experience! Life's too short to be serious all the time.

ALaughAMinute Sun 19-Jul-15 17:07:49

I think you'll have a laugh if you go with your friend OP. Go for it, and report back to let us know how you get on. Enjoy! smile

MyDogAteMyBelt Sun 19-Jul-15 20:46:32

we can have a giggle together on the way home about just how many fat/balding 50+yo men turned up

Blimey! so are 50+ yo men, fat/balding or whatever, not allowed to look for a relationship?
One day you'll be 50+ , possibly fat, probably not balding but possibly with thinning hair, and definitely ageing. If you're single then will you decide you're not entitled to look for a partner because, you know, you're 50, and just sit at home doing crosswords and drinking cocoa?
Have fun mocking older people while you can, OP. You will be there one day.

UncertainSmile Sun 19-Jul-15 20:51:56

It does seem pretty standard on MN to have a go at fat and/or balding men. It wouldn't be tolerated if it was reversed.

MadeMan Sun 19-Jul-15 20:52:29

"Sounds ghastly to be honest."

This, basically.

faitaccompli Sun 19-Jul-15 20:53:26

Oh, the crassness of youth! As MyDog said - you will be that 50 year old person one day. Until you had said that, you sounded as though you had the right approach to dating. Never mind. I am sure you will have fun mocking those less perfect than you!

fruitpastille Sun 19-Jul-15 21:02:44

My mate has been on one. Loads more women than men and the men were, shall I just say, not her type?! It will be OK with a friend though!

Lailalaila Sun 19-Jul-15 21:11:25

Ok ok I've had my wrist slapped, chill out. Of course you can meet perfectly nice 50+yo men & maybe some with bellies & bald heads too. Forgive me, having not that long ago left a severely abusive long marriage to a fat balding 59yo & my friend also, you could see where I was coming from. Sorry. You never know who you might meet, that's why I'm going.

MadeMan Sun 19-Jul-15 22:37:01

One of the pubs near where I live used to have a regular singles night during the week behind a curtain in one corner of the pub where the pool table was.

Inexperiencedchick Sun 19-Jul-15 22:50:33

A friend of mine went once.

There is a pub/club behind Oxford Street/close to Regents Street...

For her it was a waste of time, but it might work for you...

Good luck smile

CalmYourselfTubbs Sun 19-Jul-15 23:46:42

expect many times more women there than men.

MadeMan Sun 19-Jul-15 23:48:48

Perhaps if all the women take a friend then that might explain the ratio of women to men numbers.

HelenaDove Mon 20-Jul-15 00:36:54

PanGalactic Someone once told me that everyones tastes are different and that if they were all the same it would be chaos with ppl all chasing after the same person.

Sounds like you saw that actually happen.

PanGalaticGargleBlaster Mon 20-Jul-15 08:27:11

Helena

From my experience at these type of events there will always be a handful of very attractive socially confident types, a load of average people and a minority of weirdos who are just creepy. The former group hold court, the average people shuffle about making small talk with each other and weirdos just stare at you without blinking.

Obviously I was in the former group.

DontDrinkAndFacebook Mon 20-Jul-15 08:33:03

I think that is just life generally though Pan not just dating parties!

CtrlAltDelicious Mon 20-Jul-15 08:35:12

Pan, that'sexactly how I've imagined those kinds of events would be, and why I've never dared go. A friend recently went speed dating and told me some of the more attractive men wouldn't even talk during the 3 minutes with women they didn't find suitably attractive. Like, not a single word. This fills me with terror!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now