Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Should I speak to the GP about dh?

(10 Posts)
name77 Mon 06-Jul-15 10:17:34

Can't put all the background as it would be too long but dh has depression, has been on medication until about 2 months ago when a stupid GP told him to come off them without checking anything about his background/health/state of mind. So he's come off them and is as bad as we was before medication. If not worse. He's had a massive fight (physical) with my brother (who is now refusing to talk to him), has dark black moods, is exhausted, has lost any sense of positivity, is angry. He needs to go back on the drugs, imo, but he's refusing.

He also has serious sleep issues, is under a consultant, who has recently written to the GP to get them to do a load of tests, so dh is going to see them next week about the sleep stuff, but is still point black refusing to speak to them about the depression. Could I go and see the same GP ahead of dh to voice my concerns and see if they can advise him to go back on the medication?

I am so tired of it all, and while it was not perfect when he was on ad's, it was a lot better than it is atm. We're due to go on holiday in two weeks and he's moaning and negative about it already, and I know the meds will help with all that. I just want some support really.

MajesticWhine Mon 06-Jul-15 10:23:16

Poor you, what a nightmare. Yes, I think you can. The GP can't discuss your DH's situation with you without his consent because of patient confidentiality, but you can certainly raise your concerns. I'm not sure how much the GP will take notice, but it can't hurt.

name77 Tue 07-Jul-15 15:43:58

I can't get an apt with the same GP sad. Not quite sure if it's worth just speaking to any of them and asking them to share what I say with the GP who sees dh...

cestlavielife Tue 07-Jul-15 15:46:48

yes go and speak to another in the practice and explain about the impact on you.
talk about it from your point of view.

while it is confidential, the gp can choose to share the information you give with the other partner gp if you make it explicit that is what you want them to do.

ImperialBlether Tue 07-Jul-15 15:47:20

I would definitely go and speak to the GP. Your poor husband and poor you, too. I think it's as hard for the person living with the depressed person, myself.

name77 Tue 07-Jul-15 22:44:13

Thank you. I will call them tomorrow, and get an appt. It is hard, every single day, but I love my dh and I just want him to get better. I know the meds help while he decides to get counselling or whatever, and so I cling on to that. Thanks for the support.

Sidge Tue 07-Jul-15 22:46:45

If you can't get an appointment write the GP a letter, or ask for a phone call.

There's a limit to what they can discuss with you due to confidentiality but you can certainly share your concerns.

FoolishFay Wed 08-Jul-15 00:16:21

When my DH was very depressed but refusing to acknowledge it to himself, I wrote a letter to his GP before he went for an appt about another issue. I don't know if if helped but I felt much better!

DancingDinosaur Wed 08-Jul-15 00:18:13

Yes, definitely. If you can't see his gp, insist that his gp is made aware of it.

name77 Wed 08-Jul-15 15:52:30

Wow, thanks everyone. I really appreciate your replies. I will call them tomorrow and get an appt to see another GP at the practice. At the very least, as Foolish says, it will make me feel like I'm doing something!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: