Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Online dating - recommendations please

(16 Posts)
brunette123 Wed 05-Feb-14 19:06:28

Wondered if anyone can recommend any particular sites for online dating - I would like to meet someone lovely to settle down with if possible and know that some websites may be more shag-markets - don't get me wrong would like to do alot of shagging but ideally with someone lovely and kind who will be longterm - any I should try or avoid? Am in my 40s. Single. No kids.
Many thanks indeed

MirandaWest Wed 05-Feb-14 19:07:01

I found a nice man on ok Cupid smile

Innogen Wed 05-Feb-14 19:07:34

A paywall usually weeds out those who are only in it for a shag.

shootfromthehip Wed 05-Feb-14 19:10:19

I've just signed up for match but I'm frustrated by it: I get a lot of visits but not many emails. I found POF better for being contacted but it has randomly deleted my profile twice so I gave up and am now paying for match!

60sname Wed 05-Feb-14 19:27:31

I met DFiance on Guardian Soulmates - is good if you are near a big city and don't mind a high hipster quotient (neither of us are hipsters)

Lostlou Thu 06-Feb-14 19:39:00

Match.com and FitnessSingles if you're into the outdoors / active way of life. I've got a handful of blokes I'm in touch with on facebook who I met on these sites and we occasionally chat on the phone.

It's good fun - go for it!! :-)

akawisey Thu 06-Feb-14 19:40:29

I'm on Match and so far it's been the best site I've tried.

Writerwannabe83 Thu 06-Feb-14 23:33:13

I met DH on POF.

Prior to joining POF I was on Match but it was very formal and for some reason I just didn't feel comfortable on there. I dated 3 guys from the site so it worked in that respect but there was much more traffic and contact on POF.

My DH was the only guy I dated from POF so I hit the jackpot pretty quickly smile

lookslikeacoconut Fri 07-Feb-14 07:30:45

POF. It's free yes, but it's so big you seem to get a high proportion of everybody - complete knobheads, normal people and some very nice blokes too.
It's up to you how you filter them, just be vigilant. You'll know if people aren't genuine just as in RL.
I met my XP on match 6 yrs ago, and have been on a few dates from POF over the last 2 years, including one guy I saw for a couple of months but just wasnt for me.
I've been seeing my DP for 5 months now (also from pof) and he's great.
They're not all players, apparently.

Overthinkerzzz Fri 07-Feb-14 11:33:27

Met DP on POF

Xenadog Fri 07-Feb-14 11:50:42

eHarmony worked for me. Two years on after meeting DP on there we live together, have an 8 week old baby and are very happy. It's quite expensive (I think) but then people who join it are serious about meeting someone likeminded and looking for a LTR.

If that's what you want I say try eHarmony.

ArsePaste Fri 07-Feb-14 12:21:01

Guardian Soulmates.

Sidge Fri 07-Feb-14 12:28:10

I joined Match and eHarmony.

I hit the jackpot with eHarmony - met my current man who is everything I was looking for. It does seem to be a quieter site than Match and has a different type of clientele IMO. Match is good for sheer volume.

Didn't try POF or any of the others.

brunette123 Fri 07-Feb-14 18:48:28

thanks everyone

VelmaD Fri 07-Feb-14 19:08:44

Another POF user here. Well I was till I went on a date with boyfriend six months ago!

Tinks42 Fri 07-Feb-14 19:13:57

Yep, POF also, you have to be ready for all and sundry to contact you and not to take anything to heart, oh and have a skin like a rhino but I met my ex on there, which lasted 4 years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now