Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

OH doesn't think that he loves me. What do I do now?

(33 Posts)
Sargesaweyes Wed 09-Jan-13 08:05:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

happyhev Thu 10-Jan-13 19:10:42

Has he actually been diagnosed with depression or could he just be using this as an excuse for his rubbish behaviour? Whilst I have every sympathy for people suffering from depression, take care not to let your OH use his 'depression' as a means to hurt and manipulate you.

Sargesaweyes Thu 10-Jan-13 22:07:29

IndiansInTheLobby Thu 10-Jan-13 22:22:52

Nectar Fri 11-Jan-13 09:17:41

I hope you soon feel better about things and your partner realises how much he's hurt you. My dh had a bad bout of depression some years ago, luckily before we had dc's but he blamed everything on it. If he was snappy with me or not feeling sociable when we saw friends and family, it would be 'It's the depression but you wouldn't understand', no matter how I tried to support him. Incredibly frustrating and selfish behaviour!

He's a lot better in himself now thankfully, but it can really wear you down. How is your ds? Has he picked up on anything even though he's so young?

madonnawhore Fri 11-Jan-13 09:24:20

I smell OW.

Brace yourself OP...

Greer123 Fri 11-Jan-13 10:06:53

"amillionyears": Perhaps I should clarify that I don't mean they are contagious like a virus, I just mean that caring for someone with a mental illness can cause the carer to develop mental illness partly because they are under a lot of strain and partly because the perspective of the mentally ill person is so distorted that the carer loses a sense of what is real. Carers for mentally ill people need strong support and expert advice to survive.

I had full-blown bulimia nervosa for about 6 years and then a further 7 years of vanilla depression. It took a big toll on my DH. Fortunately my DH is very much like a "Jeremy Kyle" type and seems to have dragged himself up out of the gutter I put him in. My (now grown up) kids seem to have been unscathed so far but I think it really helped that my mental illness was labelled and they seem to have been able to say "OK, this behaviour of mum is normal and that behaviour of mum is not normal".

IndiansInTheLobby Fri 11-Jan-13 10:16:58

IndiansInTheLobby Fri 11-Jan-13 10:25:21

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: