Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Trolls

(79 Posts)
seriouschanger Fri 09-Sep-11 23:10:19

How do you spot them?

As peed off now!

Am I looking at a good writer that just draws me in?

Any tips on spotting one before I foolishly put heart on sleeve?

FabbyChic Fri 09-Sep-11 23:11:39

I think you have to take everyone on face value. At the end of the day you lose nothing and are the better person.

festi Fri 09-Sep-11 23:12:19

just now, well writen I would say. but not always

NorksandSpencer Fri 09-Sep-11 23:14:55

Can I just ask, was the thread earlier today from the OP who had had a call from school about her DH hurting her DS a troll? Has played on my mind today and came back this eve in the hope of hearing she'd spoken to her DS and it was a false alarm but cannot locate thread.

PotPourri Fri 09-Sep-11 23:15:54

I agree with Fabby chic. And you know what, even if the OP is a nasty piece of work in the end, other posters still get support from people sharing their stories. I know I have in the past.

ChristWhatNow Fri 09-Sep-11 23:17:50

Norks, apparently she asked to have the thread deleted due to it's sensitive content.

Personally it set my troll-dar binging from the start.

Am I allowed to say that seeing as it's not on the thread itself, and the thread has been deleted? We'll see.

JarethTheGoblinKing Fri 09-Sep-11 23:17:53

You can just tell

(IMO)

festi Fri 09-Sep-11 23:19:25

it was norks yes, apparently the op asked for thread to be remeoved due to sesitivity of the subject. I did along with other give out soem good avice about wht school should do. I just dont know as it seemed inplausable a school would deal with it like that, but I suppose it could have been true.

there was some crap advice posted on that thread and people claiming to be trained who did not know wht they were talking about.

ChristWhatNow Fri 09-Sep-11 23:19:41

To ansewr OP -

" I'm on the phone to .... " is a giveaway.

Anything sexual with too much detail, also posting too quickly, or the story moving along too swiftly.

tigerdriverII Fri 09-Sep-11 23:23:21

This feels like a fiction writing forum atm not a parenting forum. I'm not interested in the special interest threads (eg blw, baby names etc etc) just a bit of chat etc, but either a thread is bonkers and goes all troll/trollhunty or is full of sneery holier than thou rubbish. It's such a shame, but also feels a bit weird to say "things ain't wot they used to be" - such a cliche!

NorkyPies Fri 09-Sep-11 23:24:17

Or too slowly (OP does not return for ages, if at all).

tethersend Fri 09-Sep-11 23:25:27

Was this about the poster whose DP walked out and left a note?

NorksandSpencer Fri 09-Sep-11 23:25:42

I'm fairly new to MN and a bit naive about trollery so wouldn't spot one a mile off. That thread just prayed on my mind.

seriouschanger Fri 09-Sep-11 23:28:24

I wish I was a TROLL LOL!
Coundn't dream my past up <sigh>
As most the stories have actually happened to me so I just asked MNHQ to check another great storyline yesterday about a bloke leaving his wife.

NorkyPies Fri 09-Sep-11 23:30:19

tethersend, yes that was the one.

festi Fri 09-Sep-11 23:31:51

seriouse I think that is the give away, your own knowledge experience. Although things dont play out the same for everyone, its our own experiences that help our own judgement and from alot of the responses on mn particularly the thread today, this topic was so far removed from so many of the other posters offering ill informed advice.

RumourOfAHurricane Fri 09-Sep-11 23:35:36

Message withdrawn

2rebecca Fri 09-Sep-11 23:36:04

Agree that threads where someone posts something controversial or interestingly weird then doesn't return, or where they keep posting but their life is one rapidly evolving drama after another get me suspicious. If lots of people are posting "please let me know what's happening" "thinking of you" type posts its often a sign (but not always) that they are reading a novel.
Offer advice to people but don't get drawn in.

NorkyPies Fri 09-Sep-11 23:41:29

I've name-changed to remind myself to be sceptical. But I like the way some MNetters have developed a gently ironic way of responding to threads they are suspicious of.

festi Fri 09-Sep-11 23:43:00

yes I must work on that norky....

bull shit... will only serve to get me in a bin fight

TheSecondComing Fri 09-Sep-11 23:43:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

seriouschanger Fri 09-Sep-11 23:44:14

ok just checked another poster they write lots of fiction! Could that MN be a troll?

TheSecondComing Fri 09-Sep-11 23:47:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FabbyChic Fri 09-Sep-11 23:48:09

Jeeez I miss loads whilst I'm at work. All these threads you talk of I haven't even seen them!

Tyr Fri 09-Sep-11 23:50:08

There is a paranoia on certain areas of these boards about so called "trolls" and it gets ridiculous.
Some of those who accuse others fit the profile themselves as they go out of their way to attack other posters, particularly new posters who disagree with them.
The silly ones are best ignored; some of them actually may provoke meaningful debate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now