Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Woman's Hour - the woman who emailed to say she'd left her DS to fend for himself

(11 Posts)
mysteryknickers Sun 25-Oct-15 21:15:22

This is slightly a TAAT but not really because I was thinking about it before I read the thread.

Must have been a couple of weeks ago. I think the discussion was about children going to university and being homesick and not coping. the presenter read out an email she'd had from a woman who had decided to go off somewhere to meditate and ended up staying abroad for 3 months. I think she said something like 'there was a lot of healing needed'.

Her DS, who was doing A Levels I think, had to fend for himself and apparently after freaking out for a few days got on with it and managed. Then when he went to university he coped well and didn't find it a big transition.

All well and good but is this even legal? Would a school not be concerned that one of their students was suddenly living alone? (didn't get the impression there was a dad around). Is that a fair situation for a young person about to sit their exams?

Just interested in other people's thoughts should I stop clutching my pearls

KittiesInsane Sun 25-Oct-15 21:16:44

Well, it doesn't sound advisable, but illegal? For a 17-18 year old? Surely not.

overthemill Sun 25-Oct-15 21:18:30

You can leave home at 16 so no reason legally why not. I don't think my kids would have liked it much but they would have coped. Bit selfish of the mum I think but you/I don't know the full reasons.

mysteryknickers Sun 25-Oct-15 21:19:41

That's what I wondered. I suppose you could argue that you could join the army at the same age so why not live alone.

mysteryknickers Sun 25-Oct-15 21:23:25

I'm sure her reasons were very compelling to her. Wonder what her DS made of it all. I hope it worked out for her.

foragogo Sun 25-Oct-15 21:27:30

I went to university in a different country the month I turned 17 on my own and coped reasonably well, it wasn't great but no one talked about it being illegal and it did make me independent.

UmbongoUnchained Sun 25-Oct-15 21:27:38

I was living by myself at 15! Think he was probably fine!

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Sun 25-Oct-15 21:31:14

I moved out my Mothers house on my 16th birthday, I took on 3 jobs to pay the bills and loved the independence. It's perfectly legal.

yeOldeTrout Sun 25-Oct-15 21:31:52

DD will turn 18 a few weeks into yr13, so she'd be 18 in OP's story. That's legal to leave alone everywhere, I think? grin

R4 Sun 25-Oct-15 22:30:37

Teenagers quite often have to deal with a bad home life and, quite often, their mates (and their parents) rally round. That's not saying that I excuse the mother at all - shockingly selfish behaviour.

mysteryknickers Mon 26-Oct-15 00:43:34

R4 I think that is the bit that I struggled with - the woman wasn't in hospital/prison/a refuge but off doing meditation for a while. trying not to be judgey but not managing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now