Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing pushchairs. If you want to buy and sell pushchairs, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ

Pushchair recommendation for a 6 year old

(15 Posts)
Guardianto2 Sat 22-Feb-14 16:15:18

Before people jump down my throat: his foot is in plaster because he has a fracture, he has crutches but can't walk very far with them, We are going to Alton Towers so i will need a cheap pushchair to get him around the park.
Any cheap Buggies that will take the weight of an average 6 year old?

MaxsMummy2012 Sat 22-Feb-14 16:24:51

I think most places like alton towers will hire wheelchairs - sometimes they're free. Cant help with a pushchair I'm afraid - might be worth googling if there's anywhere near you that will hire wheelchairs as it might be more comfy for his size, I know we have a disability aid shop near us which hires out equipment.

MyNameIsKenAdams Sat 22-Feb-14 16:25:40

I would just hire a wheelchair from the park.

Doppledanger Sat 22-Feb-14 16:26:13

I think you can hire buggy type things at Alton towers can't you? Handy to load all you bags and stuff on too. Have a look at their website. I'm not sure there are any little buggy s that would take a 6 year old. Can you not get a wheelchair from the hospital?

MaxsMummy2012 Sat 22-Feb-14 16:31:09

Just checked for you and alton towers website says : WHEELCHAIR HIRE
A limited number of wheelchairs are available for hire from our Guest Services office on a first come, first served basis at a cost of £10.
A £20 refundable deposit is also required. Wheelchairs are subject to availability; therefore, we would suggest that guests who need a wheelchair to travel around the Theme Park bring their own for ease of use.

Guardianto2 Sat 22-Feb-14 16:33:33

Ah, that’s brilliant, I didn’t realise they did wheelchair hire. Thanks guys.

Doppledanger Sat 22-Feb-14 16:35:26

Just checked its £5 for a buggy hire, and they are the really strong plastic ones that would def hold a 6 year old.

Sillybillybob Sat 22-Feb-14 16:36:06

Glad you've got it sorted. I've not yet come across a buggy that will take the weight of my 4yo (17kg) - he's disabled in the short term too.

Edenviolet Sat 22-Feb-14 16:36:27

My ds1 is 7 and weighs 3stone 3pounds and is tall for his age. He fits in a maclaren techno xt, pandt sport and a bjcm if you have anybody you could borrow any of those from?

We also have a wheelchair which is dd1s, we hired and then bought from wheel freedom as when dd needed it the hosp said they had none so we had to hire and a year later she got her appt from the wheelchair service by which time after hiring for a year we were eligible to just keep the wheelchair!

youarewinning Sat 22-Feb-14 16:37:09

I second hiring a wheelchair. I'd try the Red Cross,or somewhere first so you aren't relying on Alton towers having availability.

Pushchair wise the McClaron major will hold a 6 yo. When are you going? It might be worthwhile asking on local boards (FB/ MN etc) to see if anyone has anything you could borrow?

Guardianto2 Sat 22-Feb-14 16:38:18

it will be easier to talk him into sitting in a wheel chair than a buggy.

Badvoc Sat 22-Feb-14 16:39:56

I think you need a wheel chair.

Badvoc Sat 22-Feb-14 16:40:21

Contact your local Red Cross or volunteer centre...ours let them out for a small donation.

onedev Sat 22-Feb-14 16:47:31

Agree re hiring wheelchair but otherwise agree with the Mclaren Techno XT (but don't think they're cheap!)

Guardianto2 Sat 22-Feb-14 17:41:45

The Mclaren Techno XT looks good but it's way too expensive to be a temporary thing. My best bet is the parks wheelchair / buggy hire.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now