Talk

Advanced search

A horse-themed bedroom for a 6 yr old that's tasteful, not remotely Disney, but that dd will like

(24 Posts)
Countingthegreyhairs Wed 14-Oct-09 16:55:18

Thread title says it all really

We are renovating

Dd's furniture and bed-frame are white

House is old (built 1910) fairly classic in style

She is adamant she wants a horse-themed bedroom

I'm not too keen on themes at all tbh

So I need some ideas please that are not all cutesy Disney-esque (bleurgh) but at the same time are not so tasteful that dd won't go for it

ie a few tastefully framed horse etchings from Pedlar won't cut it (sadly)

Also, it must be fairly long-lasting - we don't get to decorate often

Any ideas anyone please? I'm stumped!

jasper Wed 14-Oct-09 17:01:24

straw instead of a carpet and a bucket of water in the corner?

Seriously, try the Robinson's country and leisure catgalogue

jasper Wed 14-Oct-09 17:04:11

here

Geocentric Wed 14-Oct-09 17:05:10

Try and keep patterns to stuff like bedspread/cushions that are relatively easy to replace later. Maybe pale green walls to remind of fields? (and very relaxing) Wooden boxes (painted white) for toys to look faintly stable-ish?

jasper Wed 14-Oct-09 17:09:19

and here

Countingthegreyhairs Wed 14-Oct-09 17:18:26

grin jasper- I did suggest a collection of old tack and ancient leather boots that currently reside in my basement .. but she wasn't too keen

thanks for Robinson's link - will look when dd not around

that's a good tip Geocentric, thank you. Yes, I think I could live with jasper's border if I keep the floors and walls fairly neutral.

I'm fairly handy with a needle so I could make a throw/bedspread with horse theme too ...

mmm... pondering .... thanks ....

Countingthegreyhairs Wed 14-Oct-09 17:20:07

sorry jasper - that didn't sound too polite did it, about the border! Didn't mean it that way!!

pipWereRabbit Wed 14-Oct-09 17:21:29

I think Tyrell Katz do a Horse Riding duvet cover, which isn't too garish (but is lots of little cartoons of different horses).

I'd keep the rest of the furnishing fairly plain and simple (as Geocentric says greens and whites might be good), and then add some horsey flourishs like rosettes, or even a (removable) wall sticker like this.

stressedbutluvem Wed 14-Oct-09 21:25:07

we have a horse mad teenager has been since 5 we did green lower walls sky type above and a horse border of horse heads along it so it looks like theyre looking over a fence. When we got it horse borders were really hard to get we had to order form america via a wallpaper shop place but last time I was in there I noticed lots of the kids books had really nice borders in.

Our daughter has since added rosettes hanging on strings etc and of course millions of horse cuddly toys

choccyp1g Wed 14-Oct-09 21:29:50

If you are good at that sort of thing, could you paint the bedroom door, to look like a stable door with the horses head looking out?
The "horses" nameplate, could be DDs name.

choccyp1g Wed 14-Oct-09 21:31:13

If you don't fancy a horse staring at you every time you go past her room, the wardrobe door might be more suitable.

jasper Wed 14-Oct-09 21:47:02

not too offensive duvet cover here

hobbgoblin Wed 14-Oct-09 21:49:02

white company has a pony range at the mo

hobbgoblin Wed 14-Oct-09 21:51:21

white co.

Countingthegreyhairs Wed 14-Oct-09 21:56:25

Thank you everyone

(sorry to reply so late, was out this evening)

Those ideas are really good!!

The rosettes are a brilliant idea!

As are green lower walls and blue above ...thanks stressedbutluven (like your nickname!)

Yes, I'd forgotten about Tyrell Katz (she has one of their water bottles) thank you PipWereRabbit

And that idea is very original ChocciePlg although I'm not sure my painting skills are up to the job. Definitely something I could ponder on though ...and I like the name plate idea (perhaps with horse shoe above door)

Thanks again Jasper

Both of those links are going to be very useful, not only for room accessories but I now have dd's stocking sorted for this year!!

Mumsnet is brilliant for this sort of thing!!

MinkyBorage Wed 14-Oct-09 22:08:15

vintage looking horse print fabric for duvet cover/curtains or if that's too much, make a load of scatter cushions
warmbiscuit.com/sagebrush-sweethearts-fabric.html
www.donnaflower.com/home/vintage-kids-novelties/vintage-horse-jumping-fabric.html?flypage=flypage.tp l&vmcchk=1
www.hartsfabric.com/cotton-prints-wild-west.html

stressedbutluvem Wed 14-Oct-09 22:11:23

thanks

If DD anything like mine, dont worry, the fact that it is horses will be more than enough. Oh, dont forget the green carpet for the plastic toy horses to have as their field! And Robinsons Country and leisure was practically the most found company on my bank statement for a long time.

LunarSea Wed 14-Oct-09 22:31:04

Try horsey-gifts.com

QOD Wed 14-Oct-09 22:33:23

my neice just had this put it her room, its stunning!

www.tiddlywinksuk.co.uk/p/product/0902221843-WALL+TASTIC+HORSE+&+PONY+MURAL+GIANT+WALL+STICKERS/

LunarSea Wed 14-Oct-09 22:43:24

Or here

Countingthegreyhairs Wed 14-Oct-09 22:47:37

Crikey! So many brilliant ideas and fantastic links - thank you everyone - I didn't know half of those on-line shops existed!!

Particularly drawn to donnaflower vintage fabrics - thanks MinkyBorage (And I like the look of some of those Belle Epoque French florals for another project I am doing - so it's a very useful link!!)

Green rug is another excellent idea StressedbutLuvem

Will investigate those links further - thank you Lunar and QOD

Countingthegreyhairs Wed 14-Oct-09 22:49:51

Some of those murals could be terrific Lunar - am just looking at them now ...

Countingthegreyhairs Wed 14-Oct-09 23:05:02

And forgot to say thank you to you HobbGoblin - sorry!

The White Company duvet looks lovely ...

Gone from dreading this to feel rather enthused now, thanks everyone!

Countingthegreyhairs Wed 14-Oct-09 23:05:17

feel-ing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now