Advanced search

Planning permission for a Conservatory in a conservation area?

(8 Posts)
philopastry Sun 08-Feb-09 22:15:49

I have fallen in love with a cottage in a Conservation area, if we buy we need to extend the downstairs living space by putting a conservatory onto the small kitchen. We would only put up something sympathetic to the cottage's style and wouldnt mind paying more for timber frame rather than UPVC etc. But not sure if we would get planning permission. Anyone had any experience with this? TIA.

pooka Sun 08-Feb-09 22:22:28

If it is a plain conservation area (i.e. not an article 4 conservation area) the house will still have permitted development rights.

These have changed recently, but certainly last year you could build a conservatory extension without planning permission if it would comply with the following criteria:

1) the volume of the extension, added to any previous extensions built since 1948, would not exceed 50 cubic metres.
2) The extension would not be higher than 4m to ridge within 2m of the boundary.
3) the extension would not be nearer to any road adjacent to the boundary than the existing house (i.e. if at the back and no road at the end of the garden, would not be a problem)
4) the extension would not encroach over the boundary.

So basically, if the house is not in an article 4 direction conservation area (where permitted development rights are often removed/limited) nor in an AONB or the broads (I think) you may not need permission if the house has not been extended before and the size/height would be modest.

Using timber would be a good idea in terms of the future saleability of the house - UPVc can be off putting in a historic house.

philopastry Sun 08-Feb-09 22:52:16

That sounds quite promising. Thanks a lot for the detailed response Pooka.

LauriefairycakeeatsCupid Mon 09-Feb-09 00:35:32

Also the most successful ones I've seen are ones that aren't sympathetic to the design as then it is obviously different - planners/people really seem to go for a glass box on Georgian townhouses.

philopastry Mon 09-Feb-09 09:32:11

Yes I know the look you mean. The juxtapoposition of the old and the modern can look great. I am flexible about the style but I do need the space. I am not sure how much power the Conservation Officers have over the design. Judging by Pooka's response perhaps a little less than I thought.

Just need to actually buy the cottage now....!

pooka Mon 09-Feb-09 12:02:09

If you don't needplanning permission the CAs have no design input (though is worth talking to them anyway probably).

If it's something that does need permission, then that's when they can get sniffy. It seems that it varies massively from LPA to LPA whether they embrace the modern or look for pastiche. Our LPA has a rather staid and trad approach. Or rather, the officers are fairly keen on contemporary statement additions, but the Councillors! Not so keen.

pooka Mon 09-Feb-09 12:02:32

Sorry - that should be CO instead of CA.

Seeline Mon 09-Feb-09 12:10:22

The regulations changed quite alot in October 2008. If the buying of the property depends on you being able to extend I would really advise you to speak to the local Planning Department. They would be able to tell you if you definitely need pp (although would probably need alot more information to say that you definitely didn't need it) If you don't, then the Council has very little control over what the extension looks like.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: