Talk

Advanced search

Replacing wooden fascias (yawn)

(4 Posts)
MuffinMclay Tue 23-Sep-08 16:00:58

Has anyone replaced a wooden fascia (or do I mean barge board?) with more wood?

I'm trying (and failing) to find someone to do this on our house (wood rotting away) and keep being told that I should replace it with upvc? Won't that look horrible?

Is upvc better? Obviously won't need painting, but are there downsides? It is on a Victorian house, so upvc is hardy in keeping imo.

yomellamoHelly Tue 23-Sep-08 16:08:01

We've just had ours topped with black upvc since the old ones had holes in and were quite rotten in places (as part of getting house re-roofed). Cost £400, so was good value. The stuff looked awful up close, but now it's up (10 ish m high) you can't tell and does look smarter than previously. There is no saying how long it will last I suppose, but it's not going to be an issue for the next ten years at least and wood only lasts as long as it's been well cared for and it's not exactly easy getting up to roof level is it. We're also in a Victorian house.

MuffinMclay Tue 23-Sep-08 16:13:28

Was £400 for all round the house, or just bits of it?

I'd had 2 quotes of £350 for wood, but it only needs to be done on 2 sides of the house (a semi - no fascia at the front). Trying to get an idea of how the cost compares.

Both of those people failed to turn up for the job though.angry

yomellamoHelly Tue 23-Sep-08 16:24:15

Ours is a semi - but front and half back and down side of house, so about 15m in all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now