Advanced search

Arse - everything is sooo expensive.

(24 Posts)
fedupandisolated Mon 28-Jul-08 16:05:28

Marriage has broken down.
Moved in with my parents
Am in bunk beds with 5 year old son
Room is 8 by 6!
My dad is an uncontrolled diabetic - mood swings galore. I wouldn't leve my 5 year old son alone with him.

This morning (in addition to the crap weekend I had with my ex)my Dad blew up at DS. I was at work so my Mum witnessed it - he shouted and screamed at DS because he wouldn't pick up some pencils - DS dissolved into tears.
It's not the shouting at him bit or wanting him to do as he is told that worried me - it's that my Dad loses it completely. DS is scared of him.

So - my income is just under 1500 a month now that I have had a pay rise. Good pay rise - was just under 1300 so has gone up nearly £100.

By the time I have looked at council tax, electric, housekeeping, childcare, water and petrol (needed for me to work) I have a grand total of about £500 a month left for renting privately.
Do you know what that gets me here - nothing - even the dodgy housing estate up the road requires £575.

Am off to the council housing department this week . Ho Hum!

Oh - and of course I earn just that bit too much to get any housing benefit help.

Maybe I should resign or drop my hours so I AM eligble.

cockles Mon 28-Jul-08 16:13:33

tax credits?

fedupandisolated Mon 28-Jul-08 16:15:54

Ah - yes - the buggers overpaid us two years ago. DH is self employed and underestimated his income based upon the previous crap year. We just hit inside the lever where you get minimum - hence we owe them about £1500. Am paying this back at £50 a month - hence not getting any tax credit at the mo.

eandh Mon 28-Jul-08 16:18:11

housing benefit?

Now you are single income you will be entitled to more tax credits (in fact me and dh were having issues and I looked into it and I'd get £3500 extra a year plus help toewards childcare!)

lalalonglegs Mon 28-Jul-08 16:18:40

I wish I had something useful to say, it sounds very, very tough. At the very least the council will have to acknowledge you are living in overcrowded housing - may put you a little closer to the top of the list.

eandh Mon 28-Jul-08 16:18:53

they will still deduct some money but will pay you extra than the basic minimum

eandh Mon 28-Jul-08 16:19:49

sorry missed the bit about pay/ housing benefit

hanaflower Mon 28-Jul-08 16:22:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fedupandisolated Mon 28-Jul-08 16:30:50

Child care costs are minimal - £35 a month.

Have found a place 10 miles away which I could afford. Obviously then I have to adjust the petrol costs but might be possible.

Salary is just over 25k - so good salary. But after Tax/NI/NHS Pension thingie am left with just under £1500. Still a good amount but when you add everything up it only leaves a spare £500-£550 even with the Child Benefit.

rebelmum1 Mon 28-Jul-08 16:31:21

why isn't your ex contributing? Don't you have any proceeds from a house sale to help? Have you tried housing associations?

fedupandisolated Mon 28-Jul-08 16:31:58

Or there is a Caravan Park about 8 miles away which rents out fully serviced 2 bed caravans for £125 a week. Might not lose my place on the housing queue then.

rebelmum1 Mon 28-Jul-08 16:32:26

You might be better financially not working.

rebelmum1 Mon 28-Jul-08 16:34:01

bastard taxman is robbing you blind.

fedupandisolated Mon 28-Jul-08 16:35:01

My ex wants us to get back together - long story but have had a dreadful weekend with him crying down the phone. Lots of lies and no real sign that he can take any responsibility.
He is self employed and much of his work is in schools - therefore he will earn bugger all this month.
I do not want to move back in with him - we need to have major couples counselling and I am not sure our marriage will be saveable even then.

No house sale as we were privately renting - he is still in the property (170 miles away).

I am registered with one housing association but am hoping the council will refer me to a few others once I see them this week.

fedupandisolated Mon 28-Jul-08 16:36:02

I might indeed be better off not working. But - hell - I'd never be able to buy the Daily Mail again - nooo can't do it.grin

rebelmum1 Mon 28-Jul-08 16:37:07

he still needs to give you money, how is he paying the rent?

rebelmum1 Mon 28-Jul-08 16:38:31

I lived in a caravan for a couple of months with my dd recently and we enjoyed it, it's certainly the weather for it. Might give you a bit of a breather if you find a nice spot.

fedupandisolated Mon 28-Jul-08 16:39:03

Don't ask - I believe he is now at least 6 weeks in arrears - despite me printing off the Housing Benefit form when I left - the silly bugger never filled it in but told me he had - yet another lie.

rebelmum1 Mon 28-Jul-08 16:39:51

He sounds useless.

fedupandisolated Mon 28-Jul-08 21:46:03

Am going to the Housing office on Thursday - might be going homeless the way things are.

Back at parents house - they are both here and not speaking to each other hmm

DS is in bed but told me that "Grandad shouted at me and I got scared"angrysad

expatinscotland Mon 28-Jul-08 21:51:58

Market rent from a housing association?

Contact the HA yourself and ask if they offer any housing at 'market rent'.

Assured tenancy, and they will take child benefit and tax credits into consideration when determining your total income.

And then once you get moved in you can apply for HB.

Don't knock caravans, we're looking at going in that direction ourselves next year.

Double glazing, heat, and a spot of outdoor space.

All on one level and 'ground floor', too.

Fees may be lower than council tax, too.

fiodyl Mon 28-Jul-08 22:42:40

If possible ask your parents to write a letter to the council that you can take with you on thursday. ask them to state that while they are temporarily accomadating you they CANNOT do so indefinatley. Put reasons for this e.g financial/medical/lack of space etc and if they will a proposed date that they will be forced to make you homeless IYKWIM.

This will strengthen your case as will a Statement of Affairs(SOA)-this is basically a list of your income versus outgoings. Templates are available on the internet- make sure you include EVERYTHING.

Also are you applying to the same council as you have previously been paying council tax to and do you have strong links(work/family/school) in that area If not the council may say that they do not have a duty to house you.

If the council does agree to house you dont expect to get somewhere suitable and permanent straight away- it could be a Bed and Breakfast or a 1bed flat and might even be in a completely different area. You will have to pay for it though if you have the means to.

fedupandisolated Tue 29-Jul-08 07:25:18

Thanks for the advice everyone. I am considering the caravan - only concern is that it's on the local island - a nightmare to get on and off of during rush-hour.

The council is one I pay Council Tax to and I work in the town for the NHS so am a key worker. Tried the shared ownership approach but don't earn enough to cope with mortgage plus rent - (the Housing Association's IFA was thorough and good when going through the expenses with me and this was his advice).

Have an application in with the Housing Association for discounted rent. Will ring them today and make sure they are aware I cannot do the shared ownership scheme.

Will take a Statement of Affairs with me to the council though - hadn't thought of that. My Mum is coming with me too.

Gosh - am 42 - never thought I'd be in this position.

Have been advised by Mum's friend (who works in the council's housing department) that they are unlikely to put me in B+B because of the age of DS. However, said that I would probably only get temporary accommodation which may be unsuitable (1 bed flat for example) but which may end up being made permanent.

hanaflower Tue 29-Jul-08 10:27:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now