Drainage Survey - What does this mean?

(9 Posts)
TizerorFizz Fri 26-Nov-21 07:42:41

Whatever it is, it’s poorly written! If it’s a subsidence claim, you could argue the pipes were collateral damage I think. The ground shrinkage will have caused the pipes to settle and crack too. Just like the house.

Now you have said it’s a subsidence claim it’s different. I thought you were trying to claim just for old drainage pipes. Yes you could line the pipes. Depending on length, and bearing in mind you are presumably facing upheaval with underpinning, you could try and negotiate for new pipes. Or offer to partially pay for new pipes? DH is a structural engineer too and has acted for some householders with subsidence claims. Insurance companies often try and get away with minimal “solutions”. So try and negotiate for the best outcome for you.

IbizaToTheNorfolkBroads Thu 25-Nov-21 23:40:07

If it’s in connection with a broken pipe, I imagine it means that pipe needs to be lined. Fairly standard way of refurbing old pipes.

(Also a civil engineer, but not on domestic stuff, that’s really building)

Wingedharpy Thu 25-Nov-21 23:36:05

That makes sense @Brusca.
There is mention of damage @TizerorFizz.
"Crack circumferential" and "Broken pipe" are mentioned regarding the 2 pipes where "line run" is the recommended action.
This started off as a subsidence claim but the pipe damage has been discovered during the course of the investigating.
I appreciate that wear and tear will be our responsibility to fix.
Thank for all input.

OP’s posts: |
Brusca Thu 25-Nov-21 22:33:57

Does it not just mean to line that section (run) of drains to stabilise/repair it?

TizerorFizz Thu 25-Nov-21 22:27:18

I admit my DH is a civil engineer! However there should be a description of damage if there is any! So cracking, obvious damage, tree roots etc should be mentioned. I think you really will have to ask the survey team what this means. It really isn’t clear. Are there photos to go with the narrative?

What are you claiming for? Old drain “lines” or pipes can crack and be subjected to damage from roots and other issues but they are your responsibility if on your land. What do you want the insurance to pay for? Like any other house maintenance, you have responsibility for drainage maintenance. Insurance covers issues that are unforeseen. Not wear and tear. Hope someone else has better knowledge.,

Wingedharpy Thu 25-Nov-21 22:04:56

Thanks Tizer, but, we've had the camera survey done (or rather, our insurers have) and this is taken from a copy of the survey report.
The recommended action for 2 of the drains is "line run".
I was hoping a random Mumsnetter would be either a drain surveyor themselves, or cohabiting with one, who would be able to decipher drain speak!
I suspect insurers will say we're not covered for this work as it's due to wear and tear.

OP’s posts: |
TizerorFizz Thu 25-Nov-21 21:45:02

I know you are responsible for pipes within the property and up to where they connect to the public sewer. The pipe that takes the waste water out of the house to the public sewer might be referred to as a “line run”. It could be if needs inspection. Could you get a survey of this pipe? A camera survey? It’s going to cause issues if it’s leaking. Other than that I really don’t know!


Wingedharpy Thu 25-Nov-21 21:23:21


OP’s posts: |
Wingedharpy Thu 25-Nov-21 20:19:47

Won't bore you with background, unless it's needed for answer.
We've received a copy of a drain survey, via a 3rd party, which was done at our house - Victorian terrace.
3 drains have "Recommendations for repair".
1 we understand as it's specific.
For the other 2, recommended action is "Line run".
What does line run mean?
Also, do drain repairs need any sort of regulations paperwork for evidence in the event of future sale?
Thanks for any help.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in