Advanced search

Cooker Hoods - Too much choice !!!

(11 Posts)
RebelWithoutaCause Sun 21-May-17 12:51:03

I'm delighted to be finially getting a new kitchen but turning in to a blubbering idiot confused thanks to all the decisions to be made! So would really appreciate Mumsnet thoughts on latest applicance under discussion - the cooker hood .... any thoughts on :
- Chimney style or Integrated ?? ie will a stainless steel chimney breaking up my run of wall cupboards look better that a hood which is effectively concealed behind a cupboard door panel?
- the popular chimney styles at the moment seem to come with a curved glass hood ... these look stylish but are they a nightmare to keep clean? What about the stainless steel chimney - is that difficult to keep clean?
Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Cacofonix Sun 21-May-17 15:16:53

I think cooker hoods really date a kitchen actually. We just had our kitchen done and we have a hob with an integrated extractor fan like this but it doesn't come cheap and obviously depends on your budget. I would go for an integrated hidden one in the run of cupboards if money didn't stretch far enough.

GrannyRoberts Sun 21-May-17 23:18:04

We went for an angled one by CDA, good price, great extraction and you don't bang your head on it. Personally I don't like the concealed cabinet ones, but i don't really know why!

GrannyRoberts Sun 21-May-17 23:21:28

Like this..

PigletJohn Sun 21-May-17 23:39:50

I like a canopy, with an extraction unit built into it, to blend in with your wall cabs. People tell me the hoods look old fashioned, and I don't like the fake chimneys.

Elica make some good ones but their website is awful so ask them to send you a printed catalogue. JL and many others sell a small proportion of their very wide range.

Here's an example but look at the range. You want adjustable extract rate, with the max being rather high, and low noise. The spec will show you. Preferably mount it on an external wall that you can vent through, but ducting can be run in or on your wall cabs.

Don't get a recirculator, which performs a purely ornamental function.

wowfudge Mon 22-May-17 10:07:01

We have an angled black glass one. We were limited by a low ceiling and architectural feature we had to work round, so it's perfect.

NotMeNoNo Mon 22-May-17 10:33:41

Most kitchens have a chimney hood between wall units. If anything it breaks up the run and makes a feature. Obviously they all get covered in grease so maybe look for one which is easy to clean and access.

It's worth looking at the noise ratings, some of them you would never want to turn on!

Whattodowithaminute Mon 22-May-17 21:06:04

Jumping on thread apologies. I wasn't aware that chimney hoods were so out of date which has scuppered my extraction plans. We are not planning on having wall units and we're going to vent directly out through the external wall-lots of high heat wok based coking-any recommendations?

TheLongRider Tue 23-May-17 09:18:10

We went for integrated in a wall cabinet and it looks great. It also gives us some storage around the unit. We went for maximum extraction capacity and checked the decibel levels as we still wanted to talk while it's on.

We went to a Bosch/Siemens/Neff showroom and the woman doing the demonstrations said she hated the glass canopy hoods as they​ get filthy and are impossible to clean.

RebelWithoutaCause Fri 26-May-17 19:11:14

Thanks everyone - some useful advice. Our kitchen man said he thought chimney extractors were going out of fashion too, but all the kitchen showrooms have them so maybe it's just a 'lets do something different to the mainstream' kind of thing!

bouncydog Mon 29-May-17 14:02:19

Integrated and our brilliant fitter built some small shelves within the cabinet hiding the hood. I definitely would not have a hood that's on show. They get full of grease and dust regardless of how clean and tidy you are, and they are a nightmare to clean.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now