Talk

Advanced search

Offer accepted but having a wobble - help!

(27 Posts)
sunnysouthend Sat 08-Apr-17 20:38:15

Offer accepted and solicitors getting to work, survey booked on Monday, but I'm having a wobble.

It is the only house I have seen (viewed lots) that I loved, it's near family, parks, good school, lovely views, close to town and station.

But my wobble is space. We are a family of 5 (1 adult, 4 young DC), currently live in 86 square metre flat with no garden and not enough bedrooms.

New house is a semi with a smallish but adequate sized garden. It's currently 148 square metre, and I intend to extend it to add 23 so it will end up 171. Upstairs are 5 good sized rooms and downstairs after ext I'll have a big kitchen diner (7.2m x 4.8m), a long narrow living room (7.2m x 2.5m) a small utility room and a study which I'll need to work from so not really living space.

There is only a narrow passage to the side so no further extension potential.

Is it going to be big enough with just the large kitchen diner and smaller living room and 4 growing DC? I don't intend to move again in a hurry (can't afford it!).

Also the loft has been converted so I'm a bit worried about lack of storage to shove stuff out of the way (current loft is stuffed - but admittedly I prob don't need it all...)

I really love this house, and I think it makes sense but I want to check I'm not just following my heart and that I won't regret it and feel cramped later.

EyeStye Sat 08-Apr-17 20:40:31

Could you have a garden cabin ?

sunnysouthend Sat 08-Apr-17 21:17:09

No - garden is def too small. Does it sound too little communal space then?

purpleladybird Sat 08-Apr-17 22:13:43

Sounds fine to me especially if DC keep most toys in their rooms.

imjessie Sat 08-Apr-17 22:33:28

We have a new build and although it's 3 storey And has very big bedrooms , downstairs is just one big room ( apart from the toilet ) and it's fine . There is always a compromise and as long as the bedrooms are big enough then we just use the downstairs as a meeting place for everyone ( if that makes sense) as everyone has enough space of their own in their zone of the house . I have a play table with drawers for my son in one corner with his toys on and in and it works well . If you extend you will probably add value so if you find it too small you will have boosted yourself up the ladder a bit !

Bringmewineandcake Sun 09-Apr-17 01:02:41

Is the lounge a straight rectangular shape? It sounds very long but worryingly thin. How would your furniture work in the room? Are you an all play together family, in which case I'd prioritise the lounge and garden, or everyone off doing their own thing?
Wobbles are natural though. Congrats on having your offer accepted flowers

sunnysouthend Sun 09-Apr-17 06:59:10

The living room is one long thin rectangle - it is worryingly thin!

Currently kitchen is a galley behind it and I'm planning on moving kitchen to current living room, extending that room and adding utility in part of the garage behind it.

I will use the new thin living room essentially as a TV snug and anticipate the main 'living' happening in the kitchen diner. I'm planning it so that there will be a good size play space at the garden end with full width sliding glass doors to garden.

I'm planning to put some kitchen storage and utilities like freezer/dishwasher/bread maker (takes up a lot of counter space) in the utility room which will open off the kitchen, so that the kitchen part of the room can be as small as poss while remaining functional. Is putting dishwasher in there a mad idea?

Kitchen will be an L with table in kitchen area, leaving a 3m by 4.8m clear space for playing/sitting at the garden end.

anotherdayanothersquabble Sun 09-Apr-17 10:48:43

As a family of 5, I wouldn't go below 150m2. So 170 should be OK. You would be surprised what can you can do with the downstairs space if you open it up.

Currently it has a long thin lounge, a kitchen, a utility, a study and you plan to add an extension at the back. You also have the garage available (to be the storage, study, utility space maybe?). You could encorporate all of the existing rooms into one and have your study elsewhere. (Either in one of the 5 bedrooms or the garage)

We live in France and many house have a completely open living area straight from the front door, areas created for the kitchen, dining and living and it works well.

purpleladybird Sun 09-Apr-17 10:49:20

Do you have a current and proposed floor plan? Someone may be able to propose a different layout or room uses to maximise the space.

purpleladybird Sun 09-Apr-17 10:53:28

Also, how old are your DC? You say they are young so could you have two share bedrooms for now and have your study upstairs creating a bit of extra communal space whilst they are young and then when they get older and what to be on their own more give everyone their own room and bring your study downstairs?

Dozer Sun 09-Apr-17 10:59:10

Do you have enough money and time to oversee the extension?

StripyBlanket Sun 09-Apr-17 11:26:07

I think that sounds fine as you have enough space and different rooms to juggle things around. So for example loads of new builds have a lounge upstairs - if you can't move the study as purple suggests and find you need extra space, get 2 of the dcs to share and switch things around.

I'm wobbling all the time at the moment, such big decisions so best of luck.

sunnysouthend Sun 09-Apr-17 13:17:54

Thank you all - ok below are the current downstairs floor plan and next is my proposed changes (v rough).

Workspace will be a massage treatment room, so don't want it upstairs and clients going up to see DC mess. I was toying with putting it in the garage, but I would rather keep some storage space for bikes, garden stuff etc in there as the garden will not be huge once I've extended and added a terrace outside extension.

Do rationale behind this scheme is:
DC like to play downstairs (clingy) but tend to fight when left all alone together, so big kitchen diner means I can get on with whatever and also supervise. It's also more sociable for party/guests visiting etc.

I'd rather they don't jump around while watching TV, and I like to retreat to a relatively tidy and cost space to unwind at the end of the day so front but if living room will prob be TV snug and back part will house my piano and some bookshelves I think.

Will move door to treatment room to Hall wall so that clients can come and go without being exposed to our mess.

DC all under 10, and 2 can share for a good few years so I will have flexibility with what to use 5th bed for until the sharers become teens or thereabouts.

Utility will open off kitchen for convenience and as it's in the party wall (semi) it will have to have only artificial light.

Going to knock out chimney breast in new kitchen/diner as it's been removed above already (nothing left on upper 2 floors).

I am totally open to ideas and suggestions smile

sunnysouthend Sun 09-Apr-17 13:19:09

Yeah, it would help if I attached them...

Oh, and an architect friend thinks my budget is enough so that's ok!

Bringmewineandcake Sun 09-Apr-17 13:35:17

It sounds like you've got some really good and workable plans! I'd go for it, I suspect you've just got normal wobbles.

Dozer Sun 09-Apr-17 13:50:10

Recommend seeking several builders' informal views on costs as well, might cost much more than you / an architect think.

We live in south east commuterbelt and bought a house on the assumption we could afford to extend, had a ballpark cost figure in mind having looked online etc. asked 20 builders for quotes, got about 12 (many looked round but didn't quote due to being busy) all were much, much higher than expected. Saved up and did it after 7 years, then went 13% over budget on the build.

heffalumpshavewrinkles Sun 09-Apr-17 14:17:15

I'd make the dark dining area bit into a large utility/store room. Desperate off the sitting room as a separate snug then convert the whole garage into a living room. I'd put a lockable gate to the narrow passage way and store bikes etc behind along it (assuming there is no room for a narrow garage or shed). You can get rain covers for things like that. It's what we had looked at doing when we were thinking of converting our garage into an office (and still may do in the future). Garages are such a waste of space when you are lacking living space imo

sunnysouthend Sun 09-Apr-17 14:26:14

That sounds a bit scary dozer, I will have about 80k total but need to do something upstairs as well, if I can't do downstairs well within that then I'm screwed...
I was thinking about 30-40 for downstairs work.

Presumably I can't have builders round til I actually own it? Argh.

user1471558436 Sun 09-Apr-17 14:35:08

I think it sounds perfect. If you feel it's too cluttered, have a serious declutter. We don't need much and yet attract so much unnecessary stuff.

SheSparkles Sun 09-Apr-17 14:39:46

I think it sounds ok-especially with you looking to have a big kitchen/living area. We have that and it's the most used space in the house.
What we also did was converted the integrated garage into a 2nd living room-as your garage is integral, that could be something for the future?

sunnysouthend Sun 09-Apr-17 14:55:22

The current dining area isn't dark because it has a lovely big 70s glass wall between it and the current lounge. (Not sarcastic - I love those retro glass walls!)

Did consider converting whole garage, hmm.

purpleladybird Sun 09-Apr-17 19:34:44

I think it looks great and in your shoes I would go for it. All though I would give serious consideration to converting the whole garage and having a storage box or shed for the items you describe. Then just be really ruthless with what you keep and invest in good storage solutions like IKEA Kallax for inside.

HarryPottersMagicWand Sun 09-Apr-17 19:45:04

I think integral garages are such a waste of house space. I'd convert that, definitely.

sunnysouthend Sun 09-Apr-17 19:58:06

The things I want to do upstairs are actually fairly major (moving loft stairs and changing the back of the loft from regular sloped roof and velux to full width dormer), so I think I'll not have enough left for full garage conversion for the moment.

I think I'm going to see if any builders are able to give me an indicative price estimate for all of it and then see what (if anything) is left...

I have spent the afternoon drawing scale plans of the whole house and the changes I want to make and feeling much more positive and less wobbly. Thanks guys!

imjessie Sun 09-Apr-17 22:27:47

The people who bought our own house brought round a builder , I was happy for them to . Why don't you ask them if they will let you ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now