Advanced search

Has anyone successfully got their sellers to move into rented?

(17 Posts)
StripyBlanket Tue 04-Apr-17 19:11:59

We're negotiating price at the moment on the house we want ( a first time buyer has offered on ours). I don't think the sellers are in any rush to move as they want to find their forever home. Any hints on what to do in these circumstances? It would be wonderful if they went into rented whilst looking!

JustCallMeKate Tue 04-Apr-17 19:14:15

Why should they move into rented accommodation and leave their home? Someone asked us to do this and I flatly refused then declined to sell to them. It's just rude and entitled.

caroldecker Tue 04-Apr-17 19:27:21

Offer £10k more if they complete within a certain timeframe

Blumkin Tue 04-Apr-17 19:33:26

I tried (after patiently waiting 5-6 months for them to find their perfect new home), I even offered to buy the house then rent to them till they found somewhere, but they had a really good mortgage rate that they wanted to transfer to their new house so it was a no go. Eventually exchanged and completed 8 months after initial offer was accepted.

Airfixkitwidow Tue 04-Apr-17 19:42:20

Our buyers persuaded us to move into rented. They paid our moving costs and storage costs for six months. In return we agreed to six weeks to exchange (and yes we did meet the deadline) as they were already in rented. We were delighted. But we've moved into rented before on two previous moves so we were open to it anyway.

StripyBlanket Tue 04-Apr-17 19:42:36

Just I know that sounds really heartless and I wouldn't do it either. But they did mention to us that it was something they would consider

Bluntness100 Tue 04-Apr-17 19:53:37

Ours did. They were moving to rented anyway so just brought it forward, there was a delay in Completion which was at their end and we needed to move, so they moved out and rented the house to us for two or three weeks till we completed and after we exchanged.

It could have been a lot longer as when we agreed no one really knew as it was reliant on some actions by third parties being completed. However they didn't want to lose the sale. We didn't want to move twice, so as soon as we exchanged they left and we moved in under a rental agreement which both solicitors drew up, and which ended as soon as we completed.

There was clauses in there to ensure they didn't delay or not complete , but they didn't want to do that anyway, so it worked out fine. Yes we paid market value rent, but it saved us two sets of moving costs and allowed us to hit our deadlines, and they got the benefit of the rent. It was win win really.

JustCallMeKate Tue 04-Apr-17 19:56:50

I personally think it's pretty ruthless to get what you want. Your sellers only said they'd consider it and certainly haven't agreed to renting. It really put me off selling our home to the buyers in the end but I'm in Scotland where it's probably easier to sell. It just doesn't sit right with me. They lost a house that they really wanted due to what I thought was unnecessary persistence and unwanted pressure on us. There was no way I'd have moved out of our house until I was ready and certainly wouldn't have put myself through the upheaval of moving into rented accommodation then moving again when we bought.

ElsieMc Tue 04-Apr-17 20:04:38

We moved into rented which was a mixed blessing. We were purchasing a house from sellers who we knew from the village school and who assured us they would be leaving by the end of August. Unfortunately they did not and our own buyers (no chain) had waited patiently for ages. We decided to move into rented and told our sellers that this was going to cause us considerable expense.

Once we had moved into rented on a six month tenancy, they immediately insisted they now wanted to move. I pointed out I would still have to pay my Landlady and that they had put us in this position. They turned really flaky, inviting us round, acting huffy and strangely showing us a previous survey with bits blacked out! They then told us that the husband was hanging round in a car outside the house they were supposedly buying trying to find evidence of something wrong in the area. We decided not to give notice on our rental and pulled out of the purchase.

Last time we moved, buyers offered us £2,000 to move into rented but we politely declined.

Bluntness100 Tue 04-Apr-17 20:08:11

Op you could offer to shoulder some of the costs. You don't need to pressurise. It may be something as you said they are already thinking of, many do it to break the chain. The offer should be made via your solicitor.

In our case the time pressure was ours, but the delay was theirs, we went way past the completion date we agreed, but it was not their fault as such.

They actually suggested to us, they would move out to relieve our pressure and we were very grateful and happily paid the rent requested. This way they didn't shoulder additional costs due to them leaving earlier and we didn't shoulder two sets of moving costs and rental costs at another location, which is what would have happened if they hadn't rented to us and moved to their own rented accommodation.

i think a polite and mutually beneficial proposal can be met well and even if rejected no harm should be done if proposed in the right way.

SquinkiesRule Wed 05-Apr-17 19:57:06

We'd do it. But we plan on moving into rented anyway. So we are ready to move on once we find the next house.
This chain thing they have in England and Wales is really bizarre. We've only sold abroad it was more like the Scottish system and made much more sense. Accepted a price and all done and dusted in 45 days. Normally it's 30 days but we asked for 45 so we could get our belongings shipped to UK.

Honeyandfizz Wed 05-Apr-17 20:00:03

Offer more money? I wouldn't go into rented (moving soon) as I need to port my mortgage and would face a financial penalty if I did.

PolarBearGoingSomewhere Wed 05-Apr-17 20:09:16

Our vendor said they'd go into rented for a quick sale if we agreed to a certain price. After 4 months I did put pressure on them shift . Their house had been on the market for 18 months, we'd offered a very fair price and our buyer was threatening to pull out. The top of.the chain screwed us all over because they found a different property they wanted to buy 3 days before we were due to exchange and kept it a secret for.a month. It's dog-eat-dog, I don't feel bad for asking our go into rented.

Cakecrumbsinmybra Wed 05-Apr-17 20:12:55

It's not ruthless, you just need to make them an attractive offer to do so. No harm in offering. Plus finding a "forever" home could take ages and they would want to be in a good position when it happens so from that perspective, renting is a good idea.

StripyBlanket Wed 05-Apr-17 21:14:30

Thank you very much. We've started negotiations....

specialsubject Thu 06-Apr-17 11:18:34

We went into rented at our choice - still took months to sell due to a spoilt princess three down the chain who was happy to piss everyone about.

Then when buying we also got pissed about by the yes/ no rental thing . worth it in the end but a whole world of pain.

TurquoiseDress Thu 06-Apr-17 12:41:29

There's no harm in asking/starting a discussion about it.

I seriously don't understand some of the outrage about it!

If it suits your circumstances to go into rented while you search for your dream/forever/whatever home, then do it.

If not you can politely decline it.

The idea of chains gives me the shivers but I know that's how the market operates.

But the idea of waiting months & months to go through with a purchase so that the vendor can find the property they just seems ridiculous!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: