Talk

Advanced search

Checkatrade painter wants payment upfront

(9 Posts)
Isabella1066 Sat 18-Mar-17 23:19:15

Painter, whom we hired some time ago, has now said for this new job that he wants the money upfront. Says that is now his firm's policy. (I think he's a sole trader.) What I find strange is that he's a Checkatrade member and I've thought that they had certain guidelines to which members had to adhere.

I don't intend to pay upfront - only for materials but that isn't the issue here (we have the paint). This can't be normal behaviour and surely goes against CT's regs for traders. I know that CT isn't perfect and is very hesitant to publish negative reviews but surely ..?

wowfudge Sat 18-Mar-17 23:22:07

Trust your instincts. Money for materials upfront is okay, but not for the whole job.

wowfudge Sat 18-Mar-17 23:22:17

Trust your instincts. Money for materials upfront is okay, but not for the whole job.

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Sat 18-Mar-17 23:28:02

My ex is on check a trader as a motor mechanic - qualified /reliable etc etc.
Meanwhile in the real world he is a joiner. ..

wowfudge Sat 18-Mar-17 23:30:55

Trust your instincts. Money upfront for materials is usually fine, but not for the whole job.

wowfudge Sat 18-Mar-17 23:32:49

Apologies for the multiple posts - something to do with my stupid phone

HelenDenver Sat 18-Mar-17 23:33:38

Checkatrade is just a review site, i think, payment terms are up to individuals AFAIK

venys Sun 19-Mar-17 14:27:46

Most of those sites aren't great for reviews even though they appear so. Our ex builder does the job to a certain point, asks for a review then buggers off without finishing the job!! Plus they get their mates to do a reference. Anyways, I would not pay in advance. You could agree to pay at the end of each day which is what many decorators seem to expect.

BlackSlateFloor Sun 19-Mar-17 18:02:20

Never ever pay up front. Find another painter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now