Talk

Advanced search

Alarm systems

(2 Posts)
vvviola Sun 23-Oct-16 21:03:55

We need to replace the alarm in our house - the old one was set up when an elderly man lived here - and seems to have been done in a very haphazard way. There's wires all over the place, panic buttons in 3 room, the control box is huge and connected to the outside of one of the kitchen cabinets, and there is a wired smoke alarm beside the cooker that sets the whole thing off if you toast bread for more than 30 seconds.

So, we're looking at a new system. Ideally as wireless as possible and with some sort of app/text based alerting system.

But DH and I are both quite prone to suffering from a case of "ooh! Pretty!" and might be distracted by what seems like a good system but is really just flashy apps and touchpad sans not actually a decent alarm system.

Any advice before we go looking?
(Not in the UK, so don't need company recommendations, more details of features that work/don't work)

johnd2 Sun 23-Oct-16 23:04:04

We looked online and went for a system that companies use, but fitted it ourselves. I know companies need more than just a visual deterrent, so I knew the system would be good.
The only down side is it's for professional installers so it was a massive pain to set up the first time.
I think the unit with 1 sounder, 3 sensors and 1 contact for a door was about 250, and the actual fitting was a doddle. Just the setting up was intense!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now