Advanced search

Georgian house insurer?

(12 Posts)
Glittershoes22 Wed 25-May-16 19:16:50

We are about to exchange on a detached Georgian house (not listed) but struggling to get insurance quotes if I put in that it was built pre-1760 our bank survey says 1710.

Those of you with houses built in that period who are you insured with? Thank you!!

cathyandclaire Wed 25-May-16 19:19:58

Check out the listed property owner's club, they do their own, through LARK i think. It was by far the best cover for our Georgian house (1740)

exexpat Wed 25-May-16 19:22:34

Try an insurance broker - if you talk to an actual person, they can get quotes for things that don't fit computer forms.

I had issues when I bought my current house (not that old, but had masonry cracks the previous owners hadn't mentioned to their insurers), went through a broker and ended up with Ecclesiastical and a specialist 'historic house' insurance policy. Could be worth trying, but not cheap. Or Hiscox seems to advertise itself as dealing with period houses, I think. But a broker would be able to find a range for you.

CMOTDibbler Wed 25-May-16 19:24:21

Try Hiscox - they are v good with more unusual properties

thisonethennomore Wed 25-May-16 20:10:08

NFU. ours is C17 and they took it in their stride.

Glittershoes22 Thu 26-May-16 10:11:22

Thank you all, I have a fun afternoon ahead of me!

charleybarley Thu 26-May-16 10:15:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsJervis Thu 26-May-16 11:17:27

We use a brilliant, small firm based in Norwich called John Albion and Partners for our insurance (old, listed building). They've given consistently excellent service and seem to be a bit cheaper than the other, big companies that offer insurance on older properties. Good luck!

TheDrsDocMartens Thu 26-May-16 12:10:18

We are with nationwide

RingUpRingRingDown Fri 27-May-16 12:58:17

We're with Barclays.

NFU hugely recommended by lots of people I know but takes ages to organise quotes (allow a couple of months before you need a policy) as they need to come out and actually see the house. We planned to use them but missed the boat at renewal time this year by leaving it too late.

Previous owners of our house used Hiscox but the quotes we got were extortionate.

FurbysMakeSexNoises Sat 28-May-16 20:12:58

We are in similar aged property and have ours through AXA which doesn't seem unreasonable. Hiscox was obscene I seem to recall.

Glittershoes22 Sat 28-May-16 21:49:05

So far Once Call Direct is coming up pretty cheap (underwritten by AXA). Hiscox is expensive (about £500 more) but seem to provide a lot of cover.

As for NFU, I was passed from my pillar to post (local office to the office where we are moving to, then transferred to the Glasgow office as they were closing) I then mentioned my OH occasionally working from home and they insisted I have a quote from their working from home team who aren't around until after the bank holiday. So I have given up on NFU, will try them next time as a couple of friends recommend them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now