Talk

Advanced search

How do you find a handy person?

(4 Posts)
HeirOfNothingInParticular Sat 21-May-16 14:27:42

I have some small jobs which need finishing off in my bathroom, and struggling trying to get anyone to do them. My brother would normally help, but I can't ask him as he recently had a heart attack. I've tried rated people, not a thing. I've contacted a couple of people who have been recommend and they are not interested. It's probably no more than a days work, and I am willing to pay good money. I live close to a big city, so I would think there are plenty of people out there who might want the work. How do others find trades people?

concertplayer Sat 21-May-16 20:01:27

Word of mouth is the best way But our neighbours found one
in the local (free) rag. Expect to pay £20 per hour-£30 in London

HeirOfNothingInParticular Sat 21-May-16 20:16:58

Thanks, I was prepared to pay up to £250 a day, which I think it a fair rate (we are not London). I had a quote of that from one person today. I had described my job very accurately, and then remembered that I needed a small cabinet fixing to the wall. I told the handyman that, and he added another £30 to the bill. Perhaps small fry, but this it a 15 min job for them. I have the tools, so can do this bit of the job myself. It slightly puts me off the person though, as I think they are making a quick buck from me. A fair days rate I expect, but I don't want to be taken the piss out of...

Willow33 Sun 22-May-16 00:06:28

Are you on FB? Is there a local homes group that you could get recommendation for?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now